General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!! Weird stuff going on! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help!!! Weird stuff going on! WTF?

I have a 2000 ws6 and came acrross a weird problem this morning. I unlock my car this morning and started it up just fine. So I get to work and shut the engine off get out and lock it with my keyless remote entry thing and here is where the problem starts, as I pressed the lock button the headlights on the remote it honks twice like usual, the headlights pop up for some reason, go back down and it seems like the drivers side motor keeps going and sounds like its grinding the crap out of it and does it when locking and unlocking. So this afternoon I get home and unplug the battery for about 20 minutes so it would reset I plug it back in and lock it unlock it a few times and everything was back to normal. Just now I moved my car and the first time I started my car it was idling at around 450-500 rpm so im thinking WTF is going on? I shut it off and start it again and it was normal idle RPM which is about 850 or so and try locking it and it that same bulls#!+ again and now is pissin me off, what can I do to get rid of these problems.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7
I have a 2000 ws6 and came acrross a weird problem this morning. I unlock my car this morning and started it up just fine. So I get to work and shut the engine off get out and lock it with my keyless remote entry thing and here is where the problem starts, as I pressed the lock button the headlights on the remote it honks twice like usual, the headlights pop up for some reason, go back down and it seems like the drivers side motor keeps going and sounds like its grinding the crap out of it and does it when locking and unlocking. So this afternoon I get home and unplug the battery for about 20 minutes so it would reset I plug it back in and lock it unlock it a few times and everything was back to normal. Just now I moved my car and the first time I started my car it was idling at around 450-500 rpm so im thinking WTF is going on? I shut it off and start it again and it was normal idle RPM which is about 850 or so and try locking it and it that same bulls#!+ again and now is pissin me off, what can I do to get rid of these problems.

WTF over!! The Devil possessed your car! lol. I don't know man...that's weird. Sorry. Has to be a short circuit somewhere. Got me...good luck!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JJT
WTF over!! The Devil possessed your car! lol. I don't know man...that's weird. Sorry. Has to be a short circuit somewhere. Got me...good luck!
Yea man it seems like the devil possesed my car, but its pising me off man. Thanks anyway.
Anybody else that mihght know what the hell is going on?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

zamora, ive encountered this problem myself with my 2001 ws6. I replaced the motor in the passengers side, and the problem went away, but thats after listening to someone tell me to lube the gear with grease. Didnt work... and yes i know what youre talking about with the motor grinding and sounding like a drill getting stuck in a thick piece of wood. you can find a refurbished headlight motor at advance auto parts for about $70. Sounds alot, but compare to a brand new motor from GM, its worth the price. junkyards wont really have them. hell, its bad enough they dont have f-bodys there. hope that helps.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

I can't help you with the headlight problem, but I'm guessing that weird low-idle problem you experienced was related to unplugging the battery for an extended period of time. Doesn't the ECM have to recalibrate itself to the motor after power has been removed for awhile?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

But why did the headlight didn't do it after I unplugged the battery and plugged back on? Started the car and it did it again? Plus when you use the keyless entry remote the headlights shoulnt pop up, and locked once from the inside and it did it. Now I need to check when I use my headlights.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

The problem is one of your headlights (the one that is making the noise) has a stripped out gear on the motor that raises/lowers the headlights. You can do one of two fixes, the first one is temporary and it will probably happen again: raise the headlights and disconnect the motor from the armature that connects to the headlights. Rotate the motor manually using the manual **** 180 degrees, then reconnect the motor to the armature. The action of raising/lowering the headlights only uses 1/2 of the surface of the gear. This way you will be using the other half. But like I said earlier, you will probably have a problem again.
The second fix (which is more permanent) is to remove the entire headlight assembly, then remove the motor/gearbox assemble out of the car. Notice the motor is attached to the black plastic gearbox by metal tabs on the motor housing. The gear stripping problem is caused by those tabs becoming loose when the motor torques the gearbox, and the mis-alignment with the motor/gearbox causes the gears to bind. What you want to do is to pound those metal tabs in some more using a small hammer + screwdriver, until the motor housing/gearbox has no play anymore and is solid. use some epoxy or JB weld over the tabs to keep them from loosening again. Rotate the motor 180 degrees, then re-install. Problem fixed. Here is a post describing the process: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...en-closed.html see post #10.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

look at my sig..............
Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
look at my sig..............
That is fuc*!ng awesome thanks a lot man, that's my problem, weird though how they act up with the remote.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zamora7
That is fuc*!ng awesome thanks a lot man, that's my problem, weird though how they act up with the remote.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fixed it took me about a hour or so. Great instructions on that video,too.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

you'll be quicker next time
Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

How do you get your car to beep when you lock/unlock it btw? lol
Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xbcrguy182x
It's always done it, I lock/unlock it with the keyless entry remote, it's a factory alarm, I think.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
you'll be quicker next time
Hope it aint soon, its annoying.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xbcrguy182x
You have to turn that feature on with the BCM
Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is the sticky from the Pontiac Firebird section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...eadlights.html
You're problem and its fix are discussed there.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

this just started happening to me tonight but my passenger dside headlight is making the noise. if i replace the motor this should solve them goign up and down when locking the car witht he remote?