General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

corvette air conditioner problem, system full, compressor engaged, no cold air!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the compressor may be leaking fill it with 22 then put the sniffer to it...thats what i did on my camaro and u have to run it up to 275 and 50 if its hot outside
Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fozziejared
piece of crap compressor o-rings are still leaking.. i am soo frustrated and partly because i know i should have done it the right way from the start and just replace the crappy orings.. but oh well, i really hope the orings fix it and there is not another leak somewhere else!!
You know what man....I dont know how much cash you have but: About 5 years ago my factory 1998 A/C compressor took a ****. I had the choice to take it to a number of A/C shops to get it fixed, rebuilt, whatever. All the shops varied from $450-$700.

I called my local dealership (Sheehan Pontiac) and got a price of $800. Brand new AC Delco compressor, labor and a 134 charge.

I received a LIFETIME parts and labor warranty. I'll never pay a penny again for A/C troubles for a compressor, all labor and 134.

There are some things that are better done at the dlearship. Not many, but this is one.

I also have a lifetime 15% discount card from the owner of dealership, so that helps on any services I ever need done.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragu1585
not to hijack but i got simiar problems..

my vents are blowing warm at 60 and when i increase it the air does get hotter.. compressor/clutch is turning on.. after readin some of these posts i turn the ac on and ran it for a while today, and there was no condensation dripping from the drier, none of the tubes were remotely cold.. the system was just vacuumed and filled btw.. could this still be an orifice tube deal or drier itself? should i replace both of them anywayz and see if that works.. this is on a 2000 vette also

btw no ac in houston, tx when its 100+ outside sucks ***!
When it was evacuated and charged, did it get cold? If so, then you probably have a leak somewhere and that freon is mostly gone now. Recharge using dye and find the leak. DO NOT PUT SEALER, ORING CONDITIONER OR ANY OTHER CRAP IN THERE, UNLESS YOU'RE PLANNING ON SELLING THE CAR IN A DAY OR TWO!!!!! Even then, it's not a good idea unless you don't care that you're screwing someone. That stuff doesn't work, causes damage and is generally a waste of time and money (unless you own the company that makes it.).
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, the leak stuff is crap, around here you have to look hard to find r134 without the leak crap in it, all of the autoparts stores sell that, and the artic chill stuff.

Question on the 2# comment for the f-cars? Do all f-cars require 2 pounds? My 98 states 1.5# on the sticker, which should be 2 12 oz cans correct?

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited by slow; 08-09-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: corvette air conditioner problem, system full, compressor engaged, no cold air!