General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ok guys and gals got a weird one for you.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok guys and gals got a weird one for you.....

Sooo i went to look at a y2k camaro z28 ls1 a4. I took it for a test drive with the owner asking him a lot of questions. I mean ALOT!!!! He said he bought the car with 136k on it and here it is 2 years later with 140k. tune up was 4 months ago. for some odd reason didnt change the plugs little fishy. why do a tune up (oil change, tranny filter changed, coil packs were changed and so were plug wires, along with a k&n filter) but yea anyway he said could use plugs and brought it to autozone or advance auto parts and he said he was having a problem with the MAF sensor. i drove the car and all car rides nice sounds good 3" SLP catback. rides smooth everything. I go to jump on it. and idk if the MAF sensor makes it bog down horribly i jumped on it after it automatically shifted to 3rd gear and let off the gas for a split second brought the rpms down to 1k and then floored it and the rpms shot to 3k rpms then slowly I meany SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWLLLLYYY gain speed. after about 40mph it picked up like a LS1 should. weird as ever traction control was off if that even matters from a about a 30 roll....but the guy was cool and all. he said 5,500 with 140k miles what do u guys think especially of the MAF sensor if it could be that and or what would make it do that???
whats a reasonable offer to make to the guy???

thanks to all who have posted in the future...
Jonny
Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You'd be nuts to buy a car with a problem.

Go back and test drive it, but bring some MAF cleaner with you and clean it first. Then on the drive, stop by an auto parts place and get a scan for codes.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

so if i go drive it again...bring maf cleaner and then go to like a place with a scan tool and have them scan it??? its a far ride but its still worth it haha. thank you for replyin.
i said thinkin about buying not buying for sure yet..
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSwhat???
so if i go drive it again...bring maf cleaner and then go to like a place with a scan tool and have them scan it??? its a far ride but its still worth it haha. thank you for replyin.
i said thinkin about buying not buying for sure yet..
If you just "bring" the MAF cleaner with you it won't work, you have to actually clean the MAF with it

After you clean the MAF, then go drive. If a dirty MAF was the problem, it will instantly be fixed and the engine will be all better.

Have you cleaned one before? Just take the air bellows off and spray the **** out of the entire face of the screen and the little tiny wires inside behind that screen. It will dry by the time you hook the bellows back up. Also, turn the lid upside and spray the IAT sensor inside the lid.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you just "bring" the MAF cleaner with you it won't work, you have to actually clean the MAF with it

After you clean the MAF, then go drive. If a dirty MAF was the problem, it will instantly be fixed and the engine will be all better.

Have you cleaned one before? Just take the air bellows off and spray the **** out of the entire face of the screen and the little tiny wires inside behind that screen. It will dry by the time you hook the bellows back up. Also, turn the lid upside and spray the IAT sensor inside the lid.

well yea thats what i meant like buy a can and spray everywhere in the maf sensor and spray under the lid too???

and yes ive cleaned a maf sensor before lol...thanks for asking....this problem better be solved just buy that. if not im not buying this car. unless like i can still trick him into it.

i should tell the guy that the trans is going thats why its bogging down like that and then picking up maybe i can get it for really really cheap
Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Banned

well yea thats what i meant like buy a can and spray everywhere in the maf sensor and spray under the lid too???

and yes ive cleaned a maf sensor before lol...thanks for asking....this problem better be solved just buy that. if not im not buying this car. unless like i can still trick him into it.

i should tell the guy that the trans is going thats why its bogging down like that and then picking up maybe i can get it for really really cheap
Do whatcha gotta do................

Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

i think idk i dont think imma jip the guy like that but it does have alot of miles...if i can get it around 3k if i tell him the trans is the problem then im all over that... i want the car but idk. if it does have problems that im not aware of then i dont wanna get into a project car
Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Banned

i think idk i dont think imma jip the guy like that but it does have alot of miles...if i can get it around 3k if i tell him the trans is the problem then im all over that... i want the car but idk. if it does have problems that im not aware of then i dont wanna get into a project car
There's companies around here that charge like $150 to look the engine over and other things. Compression test, leakdown test and stuff like that. They do like 2 hours of work and come to you to do it.

I'd do that if I were you, could be the best $150 you've ever spent.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

There's companies around here that charge like $150 to look the engine over and other things. Compression test, leakdown test and stuff like that. They do like 2 hours of work and come to you to do it.

Plus a whole bunch - ESPECIALLY if you already know the car has issues and aren't prepared to or can't check the rest yourself.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

theres companies in florida that would come to me for that??? all the way to indiana??? lol...

but like theres a few people up here in the chicagoland area that could do that..speed inc is one of them and i think straightline performance would do that too but theyd charge way over 150 lol....its still worth it 100% i hope its just the MAF sensor and not like anything major.. The plugs have to be changed also.. i dont see why he just did the tune up and never changed the plugs. weird but yea......imma talk to this guy and see what he wants to do with his car...either trade or ill offer him 3grand for it
Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 98 Z a4. With 119xxx that I would sell in that price range. Proly take 5700 for it and it has no problems. Im also in Indiana. Send me a pm if interested Im short on time right now.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Plus a whole bunch - ESPECIALLY if you already know the car has issues and aren't prepared to or can't check the rest yourself.
Its only $150. They check all the basics that will tell you the engine isok or not. They scan it of course, drive it, check the brake pads, A/C system, belts, hoses, etc, etc.

If you ask them to do other things beyond what they do, then yes, it will cost more. But the items they check are all you need done to have piece of mind.

Can there be something hiding, sure I suppose, but 9 times out of 10 it won't be something serious.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Its only $150. They check all the basics that will tell you the engine isok or not. They scan it of course, drive it, check the brake pads, A/C system, belts, hoses, etc, etc.

If you ask them to do other things beyond what they do, then yes, it will cost more. But the items they check are all you need done to have piece of mind.

Can there be something hiding, sure I suppose, but 9 times out of 10 it won't be something serious.

9 times out of 10 for me there is though not really good with luck lol. blew my motor and trans within a year but did get a brand new motor and trans...i dont think theres anything majorly wrong with the car...there was something on the door panel in a triangular pattern and is not there anymore its rather a small triangle and the owner doesnt know what it could be....im thinking shift light??? i hope not i hope the ex owner didnt race the car or beat on it...

thats a deal in a half...150 bucks for all that i wsh there was a place around here. in indiana like that i dont think they would travel all the way up here would they???
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

In places I've lived, most any shop would do this inspection on a prospective purchase. Make a few phone calls, you'll find someone to do it at a reasonable price. Just ask them if they do pre-purchase inspections, if yes, then what do they inspect and how much?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

By plus a whole bunch, I meant uber agreement.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
In places I've lived, most any shop would do this inspection on a prospective purchase. Make a few phone calls, you'll find someone to do it at a reasonable price. Just ask them if they do pre-purchase inspections, if yes, then what do they inspect and how much?

i will do this for sure...i just gotta make sure that i have the money for them to inspect it...

ill tell them to check everything and found out why its doing what its doing...if it is the trans then i can get a newer one with low low miles for 400 bucks but theres no way in hell im paying over 2500 for the car...

and 72 camaro dude pm sent...