General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Going down the check list...??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going down the check list...??

So I had been having problems with my battery gauge falling down around 10-8 volts when i came to a stop or when the car would hit idle. So I pulled the battery had it checked it came back fine, next pulled the alternator and it also was fine. So now what?? other notes when i turn the key to accesories the gauge reads around 10 volts car starts fine and runs fine other than the volts fall from 13 to 10-8 range once at idle and when it does that the cars runs like a dog. sluggish mods listed in sig
Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have the alternator checked while in the car before I went any further. If it checks out fine in the car, then start looking elsewhere.

Could be corrossion, could be bad "excitor wire"...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

how is it tested on the car ? or what is different when on the car? I've never had an issue like this so this is all new to me
Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Drive it to an auto parts store and they'll go out and test it.

It takes all the wires and cables out of the loop when you test it off the car, if the alternator is good thats all you'll know. If you test it on the car with the engine running and you don't get a good reading, you'll pretty much know its a cable or wire.....which seems to be your problem anyway.

Last edited by LS6427; 08-09-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I guess I will b trying that later in the week. What would be the next step if its on the car and still passes the test? or from what you say it could still be the alt??
Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpinsB
Well I guess I will b trying that later in the week. What would be the next step if its on the car and still passes the test? or from what you say it could still be the alt??
excitor wire
corrossion on a wire/cable

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Going to replace excitor wire and get a new alt. where is a good place to get a cs130d 140amp alt. alternatorparts I cant get ahold of there number isnt working where else can I go
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

I'd just get a stock replacement. Unless you have some really extraordinary electrical loads, you're wasting your money on the 140 amp unit. You only need something like that if you're set up to run all the **** on a cop car. It's a lot like putting premium in an engine that doesn't require it, the car doesn't car, but you won't see any benefit at all.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I'd just get a stock replacement. Unless you have some really extraordinary electrical loads, you're wasting your money on the 140 amp unit. You only need something like that if you're set up to run all the **** on a cop car. It's a lot like putting premium in an engine that doesn't require it, the car doesn't car, but you won't see any benefit at all.
The only thing extra other than whats listed in my sig is a little setero stuff, nut much but it isnt stock. Stock alt's are what like 102-105 amps?? so there are ne benifits to run a little higher amps?? not looking to thump the **** out of anything just dont want a weak alt or things drawing on the battery
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

No benefit whatsoever. The current that an alternator is capable of producing only comes into play in response to system demand. So, if all your loads total say, 80 amps, then that is all the alternator will supply. If demand drops, so does output. If demand increases, so does output...up to the limits of the alternator. If it stays at absolute max output for a really long time, it'll probably let the magic smoke out. If all you've done is upgraded the stereo a bit, but haven't gone nuts with amplifiers or things like that, then you're not taxing it particularly.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
No benefit whatsoever. The current that an alternator is capable of producing only comes into play in response to system demand. So, if all your loads total say, 80 amps, then that is all the alternator will supply. If demand drops, so does output. If demand increases, so does output...up to the limits of the alternator. If it stays at absolute max output for a really long time, it'll probably let the magic smoke out. If all you've done is upgraded the stereo a bit, but haven't gone nuts with amplifiers or things like that, then you're not taxing it particularly.
Makes sense. So getting back to why I started this thread whats going on with my system. If im cruising at say 40 everything is kewl volt gauge reads around 13 I come up to a light come to a stop and the car about dies and stays that way until I hit the gas to bring rpms back up all awhile the volt gauge drops to 8ish but recovers once i bring rpms back up. Had battery tested and was good just low only 43% charged. Took alt off had tested and passed but was told to put on car and then get it tested.??
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

See what LS6427 had to say about the exciter wire, sounds like that's what your problem may be.

An alternator doesn't produce any juice at all just because it spins. It has to have a small voltage signal present from the battery to make it play, and that's what the exciter wire provides.

The car acts funny at a stop light because the voltage is so low. Computers don't like that very much.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres is my worry. I go to auto store have them test it and they say it seems fine. once at idle it holds12-13 volts. so when I have them test it wont it be fine when its just sitting there? or will it show up that there is something up??
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

If it's not getting proper excitation voltage, it won't show up as working properly. If it's an intermittent problem, you've got some troubleshooting to do, and it's gonna drive you up a wall in the process. Look at grounds, and look at every connection to the batt. and alt. just for starters.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

Had battery checked was only 43% charged so i charged it over night. Had alt tested off the car and on the car passed both. when car is idling holds 13.8 volts. So I take it out for a drive after testing all and charging battery. Car runs good and volts hold at 13-14ish while driving, once I come to a stop they only differ when the car is running funny looking for an idle(grrrr) but once at idle all is good. The car was tuned last summer and seems to be having a hard time catching its idle(again), seems to search for it then finds it. if that makes sense in the tune?? or would the iac or tps have todo with that?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

I would start by getting a new battery sounds like that might be a problem there
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

Alt check out fine by itself and on the car. Got the battery charged up. When I start the car the volt gauge sticks at 14-15. Once I drive the car for 10-15min it seems to slowley come down. Gets closer to 12-13 after driving for awhile then every now and then when I roll up to a light and come to a stop it drops down to 8-10 and the car acts as if it wants to die. ??
Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I was having the same problem at the beggining of January earlier in the year. Couldn't figure it out so I put an Optima Red Top in the car and replaced the alternator, still acted funky so I replaced the PCM and reprogrammed it at work (A Chevy dealership, adn PCMs are covered under 8yr/80k warranty and made it by 2 months). Vehicle ran good for 2 months and then started blowing alternators once a week. I have replaced the positive battery cables to the starter adn alternator, replaced the PCM (twice), alternator 4 times, reqired the alternator to the PCM, added a ground wire from the battery to the block and I STILL blow alternators once a month. 16 GM certified techs at my dealership and no one can figure it out... Marinate on that one for a bit....
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Rewired* the alternator L-Terminal circuit that is