Coolant loss & coolant smell when heater on

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant loss & coolant smell when heater on

I'm losing coolant. Lots of coolant.

So I just changed the radiator cap.

But still, when the heat is on, I can definitely smell coolant. But the heater blows hot like it usually does.

Temperature guage is operating cooler than before on the stock thermostat. My car is a 1998 TA btw.

HEATER CORE? If it's blown, where would I find the puddle of coolant? Where is the heater core? Although it still blows hot when heater's on. Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you checked the bottom of the radiator, all the hoses and lines, water pump, thermostat, and all that? Are you leaving any big puddles? I'd try tracing everything first and see what where you get.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right under the glove box is the heater core. If that was bad you would have coolant on the inside of your car. I cant remeber if you have to remove the kick panel or not(its only held in by two of those plastic puch plugs). Right beside the vent fan you will see a rounded piece of plastic. Take that off to get to heater(held in my to gold colored bolts i think a 7/32, really small).
Old 12-02-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys, i changed the radiator cap and so far so good (no coolant smell lately, and not losing any it seems).

damn SES light came on for last 1.5 days, and just when i'm about to go to Autozone for the free scan, it went off