General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ok ,what the heel, please come inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok ,what the heel, please come inside.

Im working on a 1999 Pontiac Trans Am with less then 30 miles on the car. Its got a ford 9", and BMR rear suspension. The problem Im having is a rattle when you hit bumps driving down the road. Its coming from the right rear, and sounds like somethings about to come loose. Ive jacked the car up and cant see anything loose, but driving down the road, and somethings gonna fall apart. Any ideas..

Thanks

Charlie
Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loose jack or electric antenna inside the quarter panel?????

Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

Well, I did check the spare, it was as snug as can be. The jack too. Didnt check the antenna, but I will. This sound is like metal parts thats about to fall apart.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Take everything out of the spare wheel well and then go for a drive. I've had similar issues before and all it took was taking everything out and putting it back in to really get things snug.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same thing with my 94 F/B. I have taken everything out and it still does it. It's all stock with 246,000 miles, I am figuring it is just old and I will wait until something falls of in the middle of Houston rush hour. I mean, it happens to everyone, right?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a really bad noise from the right rear when I would hit little bumps in the road as it turns up my spring was rubbing the panhard bar bolt However I think this is a product of being rear ended at one point...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

You guys should check the bump stops.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Teching In

I would also check the panhard bar. I had one that was loose and sounded like the whole rear end was gonna fall out.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm maybe shock/spring bushings. sometimes if you dont seat the rubber spring gasket right when you set the spring in, it will cause a rattle like crazy. easy to see if you look hardenough....you shouldnt really see the gasket much at all, so look and see if you see a chunk of it hangin out.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 AM
11 Second Club

Ok update time. I ripped EVERYTHING out from my rear compartments, and didnt even get out of the driveway before I heard the clank / rattle / loose sound... Man something is about to give, Ive got literally $18,000 in mods in this car. I stuck my head out the window while a buddy was driving. Its coming from the wheel. But these arent multi piece wheels.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

PROBLEM FIXED. Ok, try and follow me here, hard to explain. So, I've had a little chirp chirp chirp noise coming from the right rear (along with the above mentioned sounds) for a while now. I got fed up and jacked the car up to check and see if the little wear indicater on the rear brakes were chirping. NOPE, the pads had an easy 80% life left. I threw my hands up, not knowing what to do then, and grabbed the whole rotor brake assembly to shake it to death. I was pissed. And noticed, THE ENTIRE DAMN ASSEMBLY was moving. The rotor, callipor and the bracket that everything bolts to that bolts to the ford 9" axle tube. I was like what the hell. I looked and the four nuts and bolts that bolts the bracket to the axle tube was damn loose. I freaked. I tightened it all up and buttoned the car back up and went for a ride. AAAAWWWWWHHHH nice and quiet. All you hear is that sweet turbo spooling up. So, Im good now. But thank all of you for your help. I love LS1 Tech. Now, If The Corvette Forum could do the same.. HaHa....