Oil pressure high after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please,
german castrol is the biggest bunch of bullshit
created entirely from the forums at bobistheoilguy
and it is the greatest example of bad rationalizations and false conclusions.
The only thing it needs is vince with his shamwow saying... you know the german's always make good stuff... and check out this german castrol
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check to make sure you didnt damage the oil pressure sensor during the oil change?????? That would be one obvious explination.... I beleive it is right above the oil filter if I remember correctly... try checkin that out?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I agree, that looks low on cold start. My 96 likewise shows 55-60 cold, and that's with 90k on the clock. Looks like your bearing clearances may be opening up some.

For better boundary layer protection, look to companies like Hydrotex, Lubrication Engineers, Shaefer etc. Expect to pay a significant premium for these oils. What I'm using now is in $30/gallon range. The tradeoff - in my '05 PowerStroke I run about 40-45k miles on an oil change. The '96 T/A gets an annual oil change on my birthday, which makes it easy to remember. The German Castrol is still an 'off the shelf' oil, even if it's bottled elsewhere.
What's your pressure if you were to let it idle for 10 minutes at 210°? What's the lowest it goes? It was taught to me that only hot pressure should be taken into account unless the cold pressure is in the extreme low or high.

Am I getting you right? Are you saying that these oils can take 40k miles between each change interval?? I'd be down for that!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
What's your pressure if you were to let it idle for 10 minutes at 210°? What's the lowest it goes? It was taught to me that only hot pressure should be taken into account unless the cold pressure is in the extreme low or high.

Am I getting you right? Are you saying that these oils can take 40k miles between each change interval?? I'd be down for that!
You were taught correctly. My normal hot pressure is about 40 psi using the built in gauge.

40k between changes is very possible in a diesel. You can go longer than that in fact, as long as you keep getting good anaylsis results. As long as your sampling methodology is correct, the sample results are 100% definitive about the condition of your oil. That's normally where I see the TBN get low enough to upset my comfort factor. Low TBN = potential for increased corrosion issues inside.

I'm responsible for the care and feeding of 250 school buses. I have buses that are going on year 4 with the same oil in the pan. Again, those are all diesels. Don't expect that kind of oil longevity out of a gasoline fired engine. Usually, 25k or so is about the best you can do. But, the sampling will tell the tale over time.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure high after oil change