General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Temp

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Temp

well for some time now i noticed in my 94 z that the car usually runs between 1/4 temp and 1/2 temp, i have a 180 thermostat and a new water pump, and the fans set up to turn on when you start the car... the things is it runs fine when the air conditioning is off, but when i turn it on the temp starts to climb every time i give it some gas, usually at stop lights... so im kinda stumped on this one
Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Something to do with 15 years' worth of crud in the
condenser fins, I would bet.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM

okay i thought of that, if it is the condenser fins, how do i go about it fixing it???
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"Jimmyblue" is correct..........

I know you said your fans come on when you start the car...if you are POSITIVE they keep running the entire time the A/C is "on"......

I explain in there the "banging" method. I now recommend you have all your refridgerant recovered, remove the condensor from the car completely and have it cleaned properly.

This will help you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...light=overheat

Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM

nice write up!!!! will do, thanks a lot guys....
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by *AfflictioN Z*
nice write up!!!! will do, thanks a lot guys....
Just remember...the banging it against the frame method has worked just fine. BUT...you can break the upper metal line pretty easy if you move the condensor too much. If you break that line they only cost $25.00 used, but you will also loose your refridgerant. So you will have the extra cost to recharge and oil the system again. Plus, when that line breaks it will probably scare the ever-loving **** out of you when it blows.

There's a shop here that charges $30.00 to recover the stuff, then later put it back in when you're ready. You can clean the condensor yourself pretty easily, especially when the condensor is all the way out of the car. Or, a radiator shop can clean it. They will also get the fins completely clean of years and years of a thin film that builds up on them, not just the pieces of debris that you can see everywhere.