General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'02 TA Won't Start After Replacing Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 TA Won't Start After Replacing Battery

Here's hoping someone can help 'cause this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Replaced a dead OEM battery w/ a Duralast and had trouble starting afterwards. Got it started after cranking it a few times - the last time after several seconds. A few days later I can't get it started no matter how many times I try or how long I hold it. Dealership says it's either the distributor or the fuel pump. Anyone have any other ideas/insights? Had trouble connecting the (-) cable so it made a few on again off again connections before being fully connected and tightened to the terminal. Could this have shorted something even thouh I finally got it started the first time?

Thanks!

Last edited by fzylogic; 09-15-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: used wrong terms
Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a fuel problem. If the engine is turning over nicely....its either fuel or sprak.

Time to check your fuel pressure at the rails. Do you hear the fuel pump prime (buzzing sound for a couple seconds) when you turn the key to the "on" position?

Kind of strange it started right after a battery change......was the engine starting perfectly right before the new battery?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these cars dont have distributors they have individual coil packs for each cylinder. My guess would be a fuel pump if it still has decent voltage, if not maybe the alternator
Old 09-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

How about more regarding the battery....

Is the physical size of the battery the same?
How about the connections? Our cars should not have "posts," they have screw terminals on the side and should engage positively. Is your setup not like that? Do you have a picture?
What voltage do you read on your battery at the moment?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the PCM BAT and the PCM IGN fuses under the hood first.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies!

The fuel pump is priming and the car started perfectly prior to replacing the battery (and did just before I was stranded and had to have the old battery jumped to get the car home).

The alternator was okay after the old battery was jumped but I don't know now.

The physical size of both batteries are close but I don't know if they are exact. Current voltage reads 12.59. I incorrectly used the term "post" and have edited my original message.

This is not a daily driver and someone suggested the fuel may have deteriorated so I'm going to put 3 gallons of new fuel in and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Teching In

PCM BAT and PCM IGN fuses are good.

New fuel (approximately 1 gal) didn't make a difference.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

FUEL PRESSURE CHECK....at the rails, then you can check other things after that.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

If your getting fuel pressure, I would check the connections at the batt. If your have a slightly lose connector, it will drop voltage when under a heavy load (starting).. When I run into stuff like this, its always something simple. Keep that in mind, look over all the small stuff...
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

Real quick.....when you turn the key to start it up.....does the engine turn over strong? Or is it struggling to turn over?

If its turning over normally...its a fuel or spark issue.

If its turning over very slowly and sounds like the engine is truggling to turn over....then you may just have a bad "NEW" battery, happens alot. Other things that cause bad connections is corrossion or broken cables.

Can you get a 10 second video clip of you trying to start it? I'd like to hear how its turning over.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Teching In

I'll be working on getting a guage tomorrow so I can test the fuel pressure.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then reconnected. Seemed like a good idea. No change.

Yes, it sounds strong/normal when turning over. Can't see any corrossion and I'm fairly certain the cables are good.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fzylogic
Yes, it sounds strong/normal when turning over. Can't see any corrossion and I'm fairly certain the cables are good.
Then the battery is fine. And even if the battery was weak, engines will start up even when they are barely turning over....if you're getting fuel, air and spark...it will start.

If the fuel pressure turns out to be good...its time to pull a spark plug out to see if you're getting spark. Again, this is free to check. You'll just have to pull the second spark plug on thedrivers side, one of the easiest ones to get out. Re-attach the spark plug wire, turn the engine over, and see if its igniting.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fzylogic
Dealership says it's either the distributor or the fuel pump. Anyone have any other ideas/insights?
yeah, don't take it back to the dealer, because they'll never find the distributor

and make sure when you pull a spark plug that you have it touching the block real good before trying to observe the spark, the plug has to be grounded.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks again for the info and tips. I haven't had time to do anymore this week, but will update when I know what it is.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try ignition relay! Bet it starts, wanna bet?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I know this is long overdue. Sorry.

It was the ignition relay. Got a new one for just under nine bucks. Whew! I am soooo thankful it wasn't something worse.

Thanks again to *everyone* who offered their time, info, tips and ideas! I really appreciate it!