General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how to replace my ac compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to replace my ac compressor?

yes i searched!
My AC compressor took a **** on me a few weeks ago. The problem was that the bearing on the clutch gave out and this caused the engine to die out whenever the ac was on.
So i figured buying another compressor would work. But now i'm trying to figure out a way to install it. I'm the kind of person that needs to have some sort of instructions before i even pop the hood. I tried searching for a DIY, or something similar and found nothing. It seemed that the more I searched the more confused I got.
Is this an easy enough job that I can do it myself or do i need to take it to a shop to have it done?
again, i searched, but it only made things even more confusing.
thanks for any help!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's some guys on here that should jump in tonight that can tell you exactly how to do it.

I don't think its that hard. I could tell ya somewhat because I was gonna change a line a few months ago and I was gonna have to remove it...but I was able to fix that line good as new. I wouldn't want to miss a step.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

it's not hard at all, access to a lift is a LIFESAVER!! but ramps or jackstands work too, quite simply

Remove the A/C belt
Bleed the A/C(coolant)
Remove 2 lines that go to the condensor, (located right against the radiator)
Remove swaybar (not necessary, but sure gets in the way)
Remove clip
Unbolt compressor.

TADA!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!!

Bleeding the AC coolant, how hard is that? i mean i know its probably just a plug, but how much is going to come out? and is it safe stuff to deal with. because I have been told not to mess with ac fluids.
what would someone recommend to fill it back up with? type of fluid I mean.

also if someone has pics of where to drain it and where to fill, it would be muchhhhhhh appreciated.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
Thanks!!

Bleeding the AC coolant, how hard is that? i mean i know its probably just a plug, but how much is going to come out? and is it safe stuff to deal with. because I have been told not to mess with ac fluids.

also if someone has pics of where to drain it and where to fill, it would be muchhhhhhh appreciated.
An A/C shop can recover the refridgerant for you before you start the job, then later on when you're done...go back and they can put it back in.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by therealthatguy
it's not hard at all, access to a lift is a LIFESAVER!! but ramps or jackstands work too, quite simply

Remove the A/C belt
Bleed the A/C(coolant)
Remove 2 lines that go to the condensor, (located right against the radiator)
Remove swaybar (not necessary, but sure gets in the way)
Remove clip
Unbolt compressor.

TADA!
Can't you just remove the one bolt from the back of the compressor, instead of unbolting the line from the condensor at the different corners???

Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your compressor seized, it might be a good idea to replace your dryer and orifice tube as well.

If you just want to replace the compressor alone, make sure you drain/measure the oil in your current compressor, so you know how much to put in your new compressor.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
Thanks!!

There is a good bit of refrigerant in the system, assuming you don't have a leak. You do need to be careful, as it's under pressure (about 100 psi), and it can and will cause some rather painful frostbite if it gets in contact with your skin. You absolutely DO NOT want it in your eyes.

Look on the back of the compressor and you'll see 2 lines, one larger than the other. Follow the larger line until you see a black plastic cap sticking out perpendicular to the line. If you remove the cap, you'll find a Shrader valve under it. Connect an appropriate hose to this connection that you got from the parts store (the one for charging that contains a piercing valve for a can of refrigerant will do), and allow the stuff to blow away. You'll know it's done when it quits coming out. Don't do this in an enclosed space like a garage, do it outside. Expect to see some oil come out too, as it flows freely through the system with the refrigerant.

To recharge, you'll need enough R134a to equal what's recommended for your car. The parts store should be able to help with this, as well as what spec oil you need. Put the oil into the compressor before putting it on the car by pouring into the port on the compressor that corresponds with where the larger line goes. Turn the compressor by hand as you pour it in.

Last edited by fleetmgr; 09-23-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks a bunch everyone, i'll try it out and see how it goes, hopefully it'll turn out good.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Teching In

This thread is a lifesaver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: how to replace my ac compressor?