General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

my car SHAKES

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car SHAKES

Alright heres the deal, I was recently sideswipped on the right side of my '02 Z and now my car shakes at around 60-65 and it gets worse as i go faster.(my passanger seat looks like its having a seizure!) i had bad front tires and thought that may have been the problem so i got new tires but it still shakes. any ideas?! my mechanic said it was my struts but he looked at how my front tires were losing tread and made that determination. but i bought these wheels and tires from someone else so they were worn dwn by them. anything? Thanks guys!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where the wheels damaged or hit?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics of the damage? The guy you speak of was looking at your tread wear and telling that you were out of alignment.. Would definitely get a professional, state of the art digital alignment and take it from there.. Also may want to make sure pinion angle wasn't messed with (depending on how hard you were hit), as well as the tires all still have their weights and are balanced.. Wouldn't think that those would cause your seat to have "seizures," but all things I would look at.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

well your car doesn have struts so rule that out

alignment angles will wear tires but wont cause a shake like that

your wheels are either horribly unbalanced or bent which would both cause that shake
Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an alignment if you havent gotten one in the past 12k miles... and get all 4 wheels balanced..
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im willing to bet its your tie rods on that side, wheels wont cause that bad of a vibration even if they were unbalanced
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
Pics of the damage? The guy you speak of was looking at your tread wear and telling that you were out of alignment.. Would definitely get a professional, state of the art digital alignment and take it from there.. Also may want to make sure pinion angle wasn't messed with (depending on how hard you were hit), as well as the tires all still have their weights and are balanced.. Wouldn't think that those would cause your seat to have "seizures," but all things I would look at.
if i find the USB connection for my phone ill post some. and i was almost stopped because i was turning into a steep slope, the guy was goin 35. and ill take a look at it though

Originally Posted by luigiandme
Where the wheels damaged or hit?
na the wheels werent damaged

Originally Posted by twelver12
well your car doesn have struts so rule that out

alignment angles will wear tires but wont cause a shake like that

your wheels are either horribly unbalanced or bent which would both cause that shake
i just got new tires on the front and they were balanced. and my wheels just had the usual wear and tear of the Houston heat

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
im willing to bet its your tie rods on that side, wheels wont cause that bad of a vibration even if they were unbalanced
aight ill take a look at that