General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 SS Blinker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 SS Blinker Issues

Sup guys. I'm having an issue with my blinkers in my 2000 SS. The problem is they won't blink on/off, on/off and so on on their own like they are supposed to. But, if I repeatedly push the lever up and down manually the arrows on the dash will light up and both signal lights in the front and back work. They just won't blink on and off on their own. Is there another fuse besides the one in the side panel that controls the blinker? That fuse looks fine so I don't think that's the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

replace the "blinker" under the dash
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
Sup guys. I'm having an issue with my blinkers in my 2000 SS. The problem is they won't blink on/off, on/off and so on on their own like they are supposed to. But, if I repeatedly push the lever up and down manually the arrows on the dash will light up and both signal lights in the front and back work. They just won't blink on and off on their own. Is there another fuse besides the one in the side panel that controls the blinker? That fuse looks fine so I don't think that's the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
are you SURE both front blinkers work when you push them yoursel or just the light on the dashf? Does it only happen for one side or both? When the light on the dash stays for a turn sighnal that usually means that bulb is out in the actual blinker.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JTelesone
are you SURE both front blinkers work when you push them yoursel or just the light on the dashf? Does it only happen for one side or both? When the light on the dash stays for a turn sighnal that usually means that bulb is out in the actual blinker.
Does it take only one bad bulb to make the blinker system not function? I'm pretty positive both sides blink when I do it manually but i'll check for sure when I get home.

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
replace the "blinker" under the dash
Exactly where under the dash would I be looking?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

thats a feature that lets you know you have a bulb out. Pretty handy and a little bit annoying...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

change your blinker fluid...

Seriously though, it can mean one of your four blinkers is out. If all bulbs are fine, underneath the dash on the right side, there's a little area that looks kinda seperated from the rest, in there there's a cylinder, thats your blinker. Go to any autostore and you can pick up a new one.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
change your blinker fluid...

Seriously though, it can mean one of your four blinkers is out. If all bulbs are fine, underneath the dash on the right side, there's a little area that looks kinda seperated from the rest, in there there's a cylinder, thats your blinker. Go to any autostore and you can pick up a new one.
Yep, ended up being the blinker under the dash. Wen't to Kragen and snatched one up and now it blinks fine. Thank for the help guys!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^it should be noted that the replacement blinkers may blink even though a bulb is out. So effectively replacing the blinker unit itself will delete this feature. Your factory one may not have been defective but was simply letting you know that there was a bulb out. I chose to keep mine as it does do its job pretty well.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

i believe that feature depends on whether its a thermal flasher or an electronic flasher.