General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

detonation fix/causes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detonation fix/causes

I have a 01 TRANS AM that i just bought that has detonation at WOT. I am using 93 rated fuel so i do not think it is the fuel. The car has 76k miles, new plugs and wires, and k&n air filter. the car has not given me any error codes.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

you could have a lot of carbon buildup on the piston and combustion chamber get you some seafoam put a 1/3 in tank 1/3 in oil and the other 1/3 of bottle in through a intake port. This has helped my car and several different cars I have owned.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by liclit
I have a 01 TRANS AM that i just bought that has detonation at WOT. I am using 93 rated fuel so i do not think it is the fuel. The car has 76k miles, new plugs and wires, and k&n air filter. the car has not given me any error codes.
Like mentioned, most likely carbon build up....or burnt OIL built up on the pistons. That stuff gets hot spots all over it and pre-ignites the fuel/air before the spark plug does, especially after the engine is really heat soaked.

Do you detonate only whe nthe engine is real hot and it won't detonate just after its warmed up some?

Are you burning oil?

Do you leave a trail of smoke behind when you nail it from a roll, like a 50 mph punch?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaro crazy
you could have a lot of carbon buildup on the piston and combustion chamber get you some seafoam put a 1/3 in tank 1/3 in oil and the other 1/3 of bottle in through a intake port. This has helped my car and several different cars I have owned.
i ordered some three days ago.
i took it to the local dealership and from what the service manager was saying they wanted to charger me an arm and a leg to find out the problem
Old 10-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Like mentioned, most likely carbon build up....or burnt OIL built up on the pistons. That stuff gets hot spots all over it and pre-ignites the fuel/air before the spark plug does, especially after the engine is really heat soaked.

Do you detonate only whe nthe engine is real hot and it won't detonate just after its warmed up some?

Are you burning oil?

Do you leave a trail of smoke behind when you nail it from a roll, like a 50 mph punch?
no smoke when you punch it, i have not tried it when the car is not warmed up.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

i ordered some three days ago.
i took it to the local dealership and from what the service manager was saying they wanted to charger me an arm and a leg to find out the problem
Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC) will literally work 10x better than Sea Foam for cleaning the top end. Sea Foam will only clean 3-4 of cylinders, if that many, no way it can reach all 8, unless you filled your entire intake with like 2 gallons of it.

If you are detonating from burnt oil build up on the pistons, I doubt Sea Foam or MCCC will get enough off to stop the detonation.

Here's some pics of my friends stroker engine. He had leaking valve seals and oil was leaking down onto the hot pistons after shutdown and adhering to the pistons....as well as raw oil being drawn into the cylinders every time it was accelerated. Look how the valve reliefs were actually getting filled in by the crud. He was detonating 100% of the time, but on hot days at 80% to WOT it was terrible. You could hear the detonation when driving along side him.

Two things were done:
Had new valve seals put into the heads
Cleaned the pistons (all 8 pistons had exactly the same build up on them)

5 years later and its still detonation free.

Attached Thumbnails detonation fix/causes-dirtypiston.jpg   detonation fix/causes-cleanpiston.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Teching In

i tried to get some from the local dodge dealer. they were out. for them to order it they had to order a case.

i am going to replace the heads but not right away. i am gathering info on what upgrades to do. i am new to the fuel injection game. i have always been in the older stuff.
this will be the first fuel injected car i will upgrade. i have just bought a set of patriot performance heads from jegs
Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

I suggest you never let it detonate again. Blown head gasket is the best thing that can happen...worst case you could damage the internals.

Whats your spark plugs gapped to?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Teching In

i have stay off the gas as much as i can.
gap is 45 if i remember correctly
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

If you want to try the Sea Foam, I personally think there's only one real good way to do it with that.

Take all the spark plugs out and pour it directly into each cylinder so it pools inside each cylinder on top of the pistons. Using a 2 foot long hose to get it in the spark plug holes.

Let it sit over night to eat away as much build up as possible. Then turn the engine over for about 5 seconds, WITH THE PLUGS STILL OUT, to splash almost all of it out through the sprak plug holes. Then put the plugs back in and fire it up.

The Sea Foam cannot clean the inside of the intake, so don't bother doing the brake booster line method. It only gets sucked up into 1 or 2 runners and never gets a chance to sit and soak anyway, so its a complete waste of time.

OR.....

Take the intake off and pour it into the head runners that way to fill each cylinder. But you need to take the plugs out anyway and turn it over to splash it out before starting it so you don't hydra-lock a cylinder.
This way you can clean the intake properly while your at it, with a bendable toilet brush and Sea Foam spray.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

i have stay off the gas as much as i can.
gap is 45 if i remember correctly
Thats a cool gap, so thats not the problem.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Teching In

i also ordered a product called Hydro Blast when i could not find MCCC. it has not arrived yet

Quick Reply: detonation fix/causes