General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! waterlocked?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! waterlocked?

So i was at school and it started flash flooding so when I get out I head home and there were a few deep puddles, I had to go through a couple but swerved around most.

I've heard of water locking and I think that may be what has happened. The car is misfiring under acceleration now but it idles fine and everything. If I leave the car to set there awhile will it dry up and be fine or am I screwed?Or is this what is even wrong with it?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If its running its probably fine, you did not hydralock it.

What you most likely have is wet spark plug wires. The water gets into the ends of the wires where they snap onto both the coils and the spark plugs. If you have the type of spark plug wires that don't break easy when you're trying to pull them off.....go ahead and pull them all off so they can dry out faster. After they are dry, put a glob of dielectric grease into each end of the wire. A big glob. Then dry the spark plug tips just by wiping them each with a rag. Put the wires back on. You should be good to go.

If they break easy...just let them dry over time, might take a day or two.

Also, the water may have splashed up into a wire harness or maybe even splashed the PCM or fuse boxes.....which will just take some time to dry by itself.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the quick response.

I pulled it into my garage and put our shop fan blowing on the engine and I'll leave it for awhile and see how it does.

It's still poring down here so I'll have to wait to drive it again.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Havoc54
I've heard of water locking and I think that may be what has happened.
A true hydrostatic lock is pretty rare unless the water got to the point that it fills the inside of the engine via the intake. The key here is it won't even turn over, and may be accompanied by broken pistons and bent connecting rods in the attempt to start the engine. A little splashing from a puddle won't cause it, but will as was stated get the electrics wet and cause grounds that shouldn't be there.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it happens to me everytime i drive in heavy rain. Soemthing gets wet and messes stuff up. If im accelerating lightly, or the rpms are low, it bogs and has like no power. But if i slam the gas or rev it up and slowly release the clutch from a stop, it runs fine. i hate how our calls hate water
Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive in the rain a lot down here, sadly. The only problem I've ever had is when I went into a DEEEEP puddle that I couldn't avoid. Since then, I've learned which ways around are best when it rains...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah....def. just let it dry out for a couple of days, you'll be fine
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have longtubes id pull out ur 02 sensors and dry them off too.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

well i let it sit and dry for a day and i just took it out, it seems to be better, but it still bogs down and acts a little weird, like the 2-3 shift (a4) it revs to like 3500 before shifting and stuff.

Should I just let it dry some more or what?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

well i let it sit and dry for a day and i just took it out, it seems to be better, but it still bogs down and acts a little weird, like the 2-3 shift (a4) it revs to like 3500 before shifting and stuff.

Should I just let it dry some more or what?
That water can sit inside those plug wires for awhile. Take them off and dry them out, the water is probably in there. But like I said...its a bitch sometimes to get all 8 wires off without breaking a couple. Usually they break at the spark plug boot end if you pull too hard on the wire part of the spark plug wire, and not fully being able to grab only the boot to pull it off.

But again, it could also be somewhere in the wiring harness thats wet or the PCM or fuse boxes.

Hard to tell.

Thats why its a good idea to put a big glob of dielectric grease in each boot before putting the wires on. I do that at every spark plug change, a big glob if it. And we get monsoon rains down here almost every day in the summer, never had a misfire issue after driving in the rain or going through big puddles.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Alright I went out there and pulled them off and dried them, I'm going to let it sit over night and try it out again in the morning and see how it does.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

Alright I went out there and pulled them off and dried them, I'm going to let it sit over night and try it out again in the morning and see how it does.

*****DIELECTRIC GREASE****

Its like $1.00 at Advance Auto or Pepboys.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also check to make sure the water didn't rust/corrode the ends in the wires. When in doubt, replace them.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
if you have longtubes id pull out ur 02 sensors and dry them off too.
Yes, and even if your exhaust is still stock, you might have got an O2 sensor wet. They have a vent in them to compare outside air. A water drop might block it.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your opti got wet, no biggie.