General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Filter Stuck/Jammed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Filter Stuck/Jammed

Ok, so since im a poor kid i decided to do my oil change myself.

Some people believe my car's oil filter needed to be tourqued down hella lot. I couldn't get it out with and tools due to header clearance.

Long story short. I have the damn filter gutted and the only thing left on the oil pan is the top threaded portion of the oil filter(wix) and half of the allum on one side.

IDK what to do guys. Just got done putting poly motor mounts on my car and i thought that was the most hell i was going to go through. . . .always somin but in a good way.

I will post a pic in the morning.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, I'd have to see that sucker to figure something out. Just be careful not to screw those threads up.

But as far as tightening the oil filter, hand tight is all thats needed. I always wipe it off and use a rag to tighten as much as I can with JUST my hand. Been doing it that for 20 years. Some things just don't need the gorilla grip.

But I did just recently buy one of those oil filter sockets that fits my oil filters (purolator) so I use that now to snug it on. But not tight as hell. No need.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-24-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto...Picture would help. What I do when I have a stubborn one is simply stab it with a screw driver threw the side and unscrew it. It makes less of a mess if you put a hole in the bottom first to drain the oil...
Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Launching!

If you could have left it together, you might have been able to knock a screw driver through it, and use that as leverage to turn it off. I made this mistake on a fox body coupe. The filters just have to be snug. I do not uses a tool on the filter. I just use my hand so I can get the right amount of pressure.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

live and learn. a lot of filters these days have pictures on them, they are there for a reason. on most filters they tell you to turn 3/4 to 1 turn after the filter makes contact. usually, that will make it handtight. and in the future, get one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UD0CTQ its saved me a lot of headache working on cars
Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a fan of the screwdriver stab and turn too, as an alternative. I keep those big socket gripper things for removal and only go as tight as my hand can turn it on install.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Default So. . . . DAMN!

Ok, I had zero room for screw driver as i tried it multiple times due to the headers.
I did not do my previous oil change so it was some other gorillas fault this time not mine lol.

all i can think of to do now just by looking at it is to put a flat head in one of the holes and tap it with a hammer to try to make it spin or F***ing budge at all for that matter.

heres the damage.. . . .
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter Stuck/Jammed-hj.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Default So. . . . DAMN!

Double post. . . .my bad

Last edited by Sykokilla; 10-24-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: double post
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Teching In

That is quite a mess, If you have a big enough hex socket, you can back that whole stud out from the pan. Dont attempt to unless you do, after a couple turns the whole filter should be loose enough to spin the rest of the way off, just be carefull not to damage the threads, worse case you have to replace the stud. and make sure you snug up the stud after you get the filter off of it. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
Ok, I had zero room for screw driver as i tried it multiple times due to the headers.
I did not do my previous oil change so it was some other gorillas fault this time not mine lol.

all i can think of to do now just by looking at it is to put a flat head in one of the holes and tap it with a hammer to try to make it spin or F***ing budge at all for that matter.

heres the damage.. . . .
There's a tool that will fit into the small filter holes and turn, I just don't know what its called. But my stepfather has one at work.

Try the tap method with a flathead, that really should break it free.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

Maybe get a hammer and tap all that jagged metal inward so it crumples down towards the threads. Then get a towel on it and maybe it will grip all that jagged **** and turn it loose.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Clamp a pair of vise-grips on what is left, and try to spin it off.

As far as not having room for a screwdriver, you'd be surprised how just being able to budge the filter with a screwdriver hammered through it will break the filter loose. From your posted pic above, you have plenty of room for a screwdriver even if you have to drive it in at a slight upwards angle....just make sure you pierce both sides of the filter with the screwdriver.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I got it off. Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to jam a screwdriver in there sideways and turn it. I'm just a damn spaz hahaha.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

you might try just taking the piece that the filter screws onto out. you can stick an allen head in it and just spin it out, might need to get a specially long one, but it might be worth it in the long run, thats what i would try. screw trying to get the filter off, just take the threaded piece out. you can see it now.

just saw you got it out. awsome
Old 10-24-2009, 02:40 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same thing happen on my LT1, it was a nightmare.

Ended up taking 4hrs, a dremel and a 3ft breaker bar with a hammer to even get it to spin a little.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

Last time i had this happen i used a short needle nose plyers ,stuck it into two of the holes across from each other and turned the plyers with a adjustable wrench. Came off nice.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99RTA
Last time i had this happen i used a short needle nose plyers ,stuck it into two of the holes across from each other and turned the plyers with a adjustable wrench. Came off nice.
Holy ****! I have never seen someone with a negative trader rating before!!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Didn't read whole thread, but you should never use a oil filter wrench to tighten a filter. After the filter makes contact, 3/4 of a turn, and thats all you need. An engines heat and mostly vibrations will always tighten the filter, never loosen it.

I had an experiecne when i bought a 95 z28, changed the oil, and the guy used a Fram filter, didn't oil the filter gasket, and afer i did everything i could to get it off, it just kept destroying the filter more and more, had it flatbed hauled to a shop and it took the guy an hour to get it off

Another inresting note, higher end filters like he Purolator Pure One, Mobil 1, etc have a higher quality gasket, usually PTFE, that in case you forget to lube the gasket, is already lubricated so you dont have to jump through hoops to get it off.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Screw driver throw the side helped me get my last one off. I was in the same boat.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taws6m6
Holy ****! I have never seen someone with a negative trader rating before!!
well i guess it;s better than no trader rareings !!!!!!!!!!! lol

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Stuck/Jammed