General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trip odometer keeps resetting

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

My 99 T/A is doing the same thing this winter. It is probably time for a new battery. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Good info, mine has done it a few times, sweep and odometer reset. It has happened mainly on cold days. I will check cables and test the battery, thanks!!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Changed Battery and problem was solved for me.
same here
Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another 99 here with the same deal. New battery fixed it.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Hey guys. I know this thread is a bit older, but I do have a bit of trouble. I have an '01 Camaro, and it's doing the same thing. You guys mentioned that there was some kind of module in the '99s that did that when the battery was on it's last legs, but I was wondering if my car (being an '01) would have the same thing. Also, I went and got my battery load tested, and it passed the test with flying colors. Is there anything else that could cause this, or should I just go and get a new battery? It holds charge and starts the car fine every time, but could it still be going dead on me?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I can inform, now when thread is bumped, my issue came back after a while with the new batt. For now i don´t care i have learn to live with this.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Found this:
Trip Odometer Resets to Zero (Exchange/Install Instrument Cluster) #99-08-49-009

Some customers may comment that the trip odometer resets to zero when starting the engine.

Cause
Ambient temperatures below 0° C (32° F), combined with low battery voltage, may cause the trip odometer memory to be erased when starting the vehicle.

Correction
To identify the instrument panel cluster part number, use the following procedure:

Install Tech 2 and from the main menu screen select F0: Diagnostics, press enter:
Select 1999, press enter.
Select Passenger Car, press enter.
Select F1: Body, press enter.
Select F, press enter.
Select the Proper nameplate, press enter.
Select the Engine, press enter.
Select F1: Instrument Panel Cluster, press enter.
Select F1: Data Display, press enter.
Select F0: Module Info. press enter.
The Tech 2 will now display the instrument panel cluster part number. If the part number is shown in the table below as the old part number, install a new part number exchange cluster which has had the new circuit board with the non-volatile memory chip installed. Order the cluster from your A/C Delco® Service Center. DO NOT ORDER A CLUSTER FROM GMSPO.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by vikingramair
I can inform, now when thread is bumped, my issue came back after a while with the new batt. For now i don´t care i have learn to live with this.
Any short interruption in power can cause this. It could be internal to the cluster, but most commonly - it's in the engine bay. If the charging system and battery are sound, the next common culprit are corroded wires.

^ It's good to find the problem now. You can think of this as a canary in the coal mine, telling you that you are about to have a much larger electrical problem.

Quick Reply: Trip odometer keeps resetting