General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil pan gasket replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pan gasket replace

i have a 2000 camaro ss A4.
it leaks oil from the oil pan gasket and possibly the rear main seal. i would like to fix it soon before it gets any worse.
i know the gasket itself is cheap, but replacing it is going to be the hard part.
how much do you think it would be for a repair shop to do this? i have barely any tools so i doubt theres any way i could do this myself. anyone had this problem before and what did you do? ive heard the k member has to be dropped to take out the oil pan.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a leak on my '99 it also seems to be coming from the pan. I've changed the oil press. sender and replaced the gasket on the drain plug which seemed to slow the leak, my next move will be to replace the oil level sender with a plug (bolt). I bought a new oil level sensor ($20) to get a size for a bolt to plug the sensor hole after the Chevy parts tech showed me how many revisions had been made (new part #) to the oil level sensor (6 in all) the tech explained the sensors will leak through the electrical connection, and put oil everywhere. I'm going to plug the sensor hole for now to see if this stops the leak if not I'll just keep the sensor for my new motor. I check my oil every week so I 'll be ok. Seems the seals start to seep and leak with high mileage, I'll post my results. Check the cheap and easy first, because the Lsx's Oil pick up is right over the K crossmember in the oil pan you usally will have to lower the K member some and raise the engine to get pan off and the new gasket on. A shop is going to cost you, but if you have the tools and space it can be done at home.

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 12-01-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can usually jack up the motor in order to do the oil pan without dropping the k member, but it is a bit nuts....I replaced mine on my lt1 which should be about the same even though it is an ls motor. All you need is to remove the starter, the y pipe, the motor mount bolts, and jack the motor up on the balancer or trans pan....and then it is just the bolts around the oil pan. My brother and I have also done this in a garage in his 83 cutlass, jacked it up on the front with a floor jack and 2 x 4s, and removed the oil pan that way...it sucked but wasn't that bad.