General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Defrost Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Defrost Help

I really screwed up. During a head gasket swap, I decided to pull all of the A/C components and heater lines b/c I never used or needed them, and I wanted more workspace. I made sure to see if my defrost still worked after this just in case and I was told yes by a few people, I think I even made my own thread about it. I had a v6 fr 2 years before this car and never had a problem in the rain, I can't remember even needing the defrost. But first rainy season in the Z28, it started to fog up real bad on all windows, the rear defroster cleared up the rear window but the windshield and the side windows stayed fogged even after turning on the defroster. After discovering a side window leak it was decided that that caused the excessive interior frost and it seemed not as bad after that (this was when I still had the dryer and lines in there but nothing was working - no freon, etc). So now the first rainy season after the head gasket swap and after I pulled everything but the ac compressor, it happened again, only this time the defrost, which I kept to still blow air, didn't do anything. I had to wipe the interior windshield with a towel to see while driving.

I just got home and ddi a deeper search for defrost problems on other forums and I read people saying that it does not work. It was my fault for believing what I was told that everything would still work even though I was clear on everything I was removing, but I still need to solve this problem. What are my options? Will it make it better or worse if I drive with my windows down? Problem is I butchered a lot of parts to rip out the ac pieces and make the ac firewall cover so getting new ones won't be easy.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is all you did was remove the a/c part?

Is so you should have been able to see the heater core and the doors inside with the blower motor.

If all the heat stuff is still there and was untouched it should work with a panel in front of it all. But keep in mind that the air from the blower has to cross from the pass. side to the drvers side of the box you hacked up, I'll try to find pics, or search a/c delete, there are several writeups that I have seen with heater still working.

Also make sure that the vacuum line that was near the heater lines and a/c lines is still there cause that controls all heater operation I beleive.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-c-delete.html

Here is some pics and a write up someone did, Hope it helps!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I kept only the vacuum line for defrost purposes, but the heater hose couplers and heater hoses have been deleted, and hacked up.

I'm looking at something like this but it doesn't look too promising

http://www.amazon.com/ThermTec-Road-..._ptcn_edpp_url
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I kept only the vacuum line for defrost purposes, but the heater hose couplers and heater hoses have been deleted, and hacked up.

I'm looking at something like this but it doesn't look too promising

http://www.amazon.com/ThermTec-Road-..._ptcn_edpp_url
That will help defrost your window, but it won't do much for heat in the car. If all you need is to keep about 70% of the windsheild clear then it will work, it will have a hard time melting ice on the window if it snows at all, so keep an ice scraper with ya.

One of those heaters should work ok down to 30-32 degrees, but if this is going to be a dail drive in the winter then you may want to try out two of them, but they do draw some amps, you may need to do some wiring(other then just plugging into the cig outlet)from you battery to keep from overloading the stock cig. lighter circuit if you use two.

I say try the one, should do a decent job, but if its getting to cold then do another and you should be good to go, but its still not going to be warm in the car.

Good luck and let me know how it works out.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not too cold here in Southern California or for very long, I only care about visibility. I bought what seemed to be a better, 180 watt defroster compared to the 120 and lower watt ones and it should arrive friday. The one I bought was made in the USA btw, I passed on the chinese made crap. But, when I got home from work (left the camaro at home) I saw it was still frosted inside the car, I tried to wipe it off, but it was extremely difficult, the towel kept pushing it around, smearing it almost, but it seemed very wet too, as if it would look on the outside of the car. So I used some paper towels and glass cleaner and it cleaned it but took a lot of work. Maybe the glue from when I experimented with my vinyl dash cover bled out and left film on the window because after I cleaned it, I let it fog up and the defroster worked. So I'm a little confused. Possibly the car isn't sealed up very well and outside air is frosting it a lot and the current defroster can only clear up fog from my warm body but can't dry up moisture. I'm going to drive it tomorrow to see what it does, either way I think I can still use the little mini defroster, I hope anyway, I paid for the extra fast shipping!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah thats mainly what they are for, defog, not really defrost, good thing its not cold for lond where your at. Is there any coolant lines going into your cab from the old heater? Or do you have them blocked off at the pump/engine bay? If not I would do that.

I try to keep my windows cleand with a glass cleaner, I use invisible glass. It seems to help. I wonder If you would try to use rain x on the outside of the glass if that would help at all? I think it is an oil type base and repells rain, but if its oil based it should repell any moisture as well, I may try it out now that I think about it. I only drive 5 miles to work and defrosting my windows somtimes takes more time then the drive alone here in missouri during the winter season.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

A/C removes moisture from the air so your defrost may suck still without it. Thats why the compressor kicks on when you set it to defrost.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
A/C removes moisture from the air so your defrost may suck still without it. Thats why the compressor kicks on when you set it to defrost.
Yeah the A/C should remove the moisture if its set to max A/C that draws air inm from the cab to remove the moisture, but I beleive he has removed all of that. I think his best bet is to have a good defroster like he ordered just to keep the windows clear in the crappy 2 months his state has bad weather.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea but it'll just keep frost from his windshield, might not get it defogged to well though. Plus without removing moisture it'll be blowing moist air onto the windshield.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help, I'll post results in a few days.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried it this morning when I got in the car and the inside was frosty. I tried the new little thing and gave it a bit of time but I got tired of waiting for it (about 2-3 minutes) so I just wiped the frost off with a towel and it really didn't come back. I'll leave earlier tomorrow and give it more time, but so far it doesn't look good. It barely defrosted a small area it's own size this morning, and it has a really wimpy blower.