General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help...car running rough.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help...car running rough.

I just picked up a 2001 SS yesterday and today on the way home the car started loosing power and running rough. At first it would start to stumble and then pick back up and the closer I got to home, the worse it got. It was to the point of having to rev the car and push in the clutch and coast to limp it home. It's been raining hard all day and I put over a hundred miles on it before it started to act up. I thought that I might have sucked in some water, but after I got home and pulled the intake apart, I found no moisture anywhere inside the intake. Then, I thought that I might have gotten a bad tank of gas, but notice that the car would only have the problem once it was up to running temps. If it was bad gas, the car should have the problem all the time, right? I think I have it narrowed down to a faulty crank position sensor or O2 sensor. The car has the air and egr systems deleted as well as the rear O2 sensors. Does anyone else have this problem or know what might be wrong with it before I go and throw a $60 sensor at it?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Codes? And what crappy luck is that-having the car you just bought start to go out on you on the way home...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I know...lol. The only code that it would give was the multiple cyclinder misfire, and that wasn't consistant. I could hear it misfire at idle on the No. 2 Bank and it wouldn't give a code. Also, the exhuast from that side smelled much more rich than the No. 1 side.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd think if there was a problem with sensors or whatever it would've shown up as a code...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

That's what I was thinking too, but right now it's not even giving a code when I can hear the engine misfiring. We scanned it earlier and it looked like one of the o2 sensors might have been reading a negative voltage. Would the o2 sensor cause the problem once the car switched from closed loop to open loop when it warmed up?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just yesterday i went to start my car and it must have been like 16 degrees outside but it started up and was idling at about 1,000 rpms. All of a sudden the engine light came on and the car lost power and started sputterin and satyed at 500 rpms(sounded like it was cammed or sumthin lol) then the car reved itself to 1500 rpms then it dropped to 500 again then it reved itslef to 2k rpms then it went back down to 1k. It was the weirdest thing but luckily i had my code reader chillin in the back seat so i read the code and it was sayin low voltage bank 1 sensor 1. In other words there could be a chance that you got bad o2 sensor somewhere. I got some o2 sensor sims so ill be deleteing them anyway when i install my headers..but good luck finding the problem man
Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Just yesterday i went to start my car and it must have been like 16 degrees outside but it started up and was idling at about 1,000 rpms. All of a sudden the engine light came on and the car lost power and started sputterin and satyed at 500 rpms(sounded like it was cammed or sumthin lol) then the car reved itself to 1500 rpms then it dropped to 500 again then it reved itslef to 2k rpms then it went back down to 1k. It was the weirdest thing but luckily i had my code reader chillin in the back seat so i read the code and it was sayin low voltage bank 1 sensor 1. In other words there could be a chance that you got bad o2 sensor somewhere. I got some o2 sensor sims so ill be deleteing them anyway when i install my headers..but good luck finding the problem man
Thats just a coincidence that you threw an O2 sensor code. An O2 sensor is not going to make your car run poorly on startup - the PCM doesn't use any input from the O2's until the engine is warmed up and enters closed loop operation.

You also can't delete your primary (sensor 1) O2's. Those provide your fueling trims. The only ones you can delete are your secondary O2's, which are after the cats. And you may not have good luck with the O2 simms, they are hit and miss. You're better off just disabling the secondary O2s through tuning software.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobwhite
I just picked up a 2001 SS yesterday and today on the way home the car started loosing power and running rough. At first it would start to stumble and then pick back up and the closer I got to home, the worse it got. It was to the point of having to rev the car and push in the clutch and coast to limp it home. It's been raining hard all day and I put over a hundred miles on it before it started to act up. I thought that I might have sucked in some water, but after I got home and pulled the intake apart, I found no moisture anywhere inside the intake. Then, I thought that I might have gotten a bad tank of gas, but notice that the car would only have the problem once it was up to running temps. If it was bad gas, the car should have the problem all the time, right? I think I have it narrowed down to a faulty crank position sensor or O2 sensor. The car has the air and egr systems deleted as well as the rear O2 sensors. Does anyone else have this problem or know what might be wrong with it before I go and throw a $60 sensor at it?
Check your fuel pressure.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Any closure on this? I had a similar problem about 3 weeks ago when it was raining hard here in Phoenix. The engine was missing and the SES light was flashing in some situations. It was odd, because you could smack the throttle and it would briefly clear up.. I'm thinking it may be a simple spark issue such as spark plugs but, won't know until it rains again.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I changed the MAF sensor and it fixed it. I guess the sensors got a little wet and it ruined the sensor.

Search this Thread