General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need advice for how to fix PCV line vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice for how to fix PCV line vacuum leak

Hey all,
I have been driving my car around as a weekend warrior for about a year now with an issue where the car will throw P0171 and P0174 (lean bank 1 and 2 codes) which also is related to an occasional stumble and rough idle. After scratching my head for a long time, I popped the hood with the engine running and found a vacuum leak coming from the line where the PCV valve meets the intake manifold. The line is cracked and looked like it became deformed with age. What part can I get to replace this, is there quick remedy or do I have to go to the stealership and pay $200 for a little plastic tube. I really don't want to do any modifications of the PCV system, I'm tired of working on this car and I want to drive it just like everybody else does with their cars. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can replace that line w/ rubber vacuum hose from any auto parts store.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:01 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went to a parts store, bought the right size rubber hose and squeezed it on both ends-no more problems. At least, I think I had the same problem you do with the PCV hose.

Don't let the occasional fix or repair job turn you off, it comes with the territory...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
I'm tired of working on this car and I want to drive it just like everybody else does with their cars.
Dude, it doesn't work that way. Anything mechanical needs attention.

People that just "drive thier cars" are either in for a hefty repair bill or had better be on a perpetual 2 year lease program.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Thats good to know that a piece of rubber hose will work. At a quick glance (it was dark out it looked like it was a special piece that had to go in there. I'll fix it in a couple days, thanks for your help guys.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any piece should work, hell I replaced that little piece with a fuel type hose years ago with no issues.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

If you live in a state requiring smog inspections similar to CA., any rubber hose won't work. It has to be bonafide smog hose or it'll fail the inspection.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Man thank god I don't live in California, that stuff would p!$$ me off big time. I am 100% sure that Pennsylvania inspection won't go that deep, so I'll slap a rubber hose on it and say bye bye to the vacuum leak.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
If you live in a state requiring smog inspections similar to CA., any rubber hose won't work. It has to be bonafide smog hose or it'll fail the inspection.
Maybe the OP's PCV routing is different than mine, but all I had to do was replace a rubber tube that had cracked and split open because of an odd angle it was in. I can't imagine they can tell the difference between what the factory installed and what I came up with. My piece looks better actually...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
They don't care what kind of hose it is, as long as the smog **** works the way it's supposed to and it's all routed the way GM set it up.

I used fuel line hose to repair my EVAP system before.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

When I used to live in Ca., on 2 different occasions I got shot down for not using smog hose where required. It depends on how tight the guy is doing the inspection.

The Evap can should have fuel hose on it I believe.

Quick Reply: Need advice for how to fix PCV line vacuum leak