General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 Z28 dies immediately after firing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Z28 dies immediately after firing

I bought an LS1 Camaro a few months back and now I've had my first problem with it. After work today I started the car; it fired immediately, just a quick bark, then died very quickly, too fast to even try to give the car gas after firing (1-2 seconds). This happened over and over. The battery is obviously good. The car acted as if it wasn't getting any gas, and yes, the tank was full. I wasn't in a position to tinker with the car much, but I tried giving the car extra gas as it started and that didn't help at all. After maybe 15 starts it finally got running. It drove home no problem, and started twice after shutting off in my driveway. That makes me think perhaps the problem was related to temperature. It was in the high 30s or low 40s today, but that's no colder than it's been lately and the car has started just fine on all other occasions. The engine might have idled a tiny bit rough on the way home, but that might have been in my mind.

I'm more used to Ford engines than LS stuff, so I'm at a bit of a loss for diagnosing this problem. Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM
...with cheese.

I'm wondering if your fuel pump is about to fail and it's having problems initially pressurizing the system. I'm kind of at a loss, but I'll be thinking about it.

Let me know if you find the solution. I'm curious.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could it possibly be the resistor in the key going bad? my dads 2006 hemi ram he got a key made realizing it needs a chip in the key with the whole key fob in order to start, the key he got made gets you in and starts the truck but it'll die a second after it fires.

im not sure if this applies to a '99z28 but its worth mentioning.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to do a fuel pump pressure test. What you're describing happened in 2 of my cars and both times it was the fuel pump. But as I said, you need to do a pressure test with the key on, running (if it will start), and then a leakdown check. Could be the relay too, but life's never that easy, especially for muscle car owners...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Myk bro seems like we both been haunted by the fuel pump issue alot lately.

OP do a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail like suggested and also listen if the fuel pump primes when you turn the key to accessory.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fire-chickens
could it possibly be the resistor in the key going bad? my dads 2006 hemi ram he got a key made realizing it needs a chip in the key with the whole key fob in order to start, the key he got made gets you in and starts the truck but it'll die a second after it fires.

im not sure if this applies to a '99z28 but its worth mentioning.
No, the chip in the key wouldn't let the car start in the first place if that was the case. At least thats how the VATS system works in GM cars.

Seems to be a fuel or spark issue.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

i've had similar things happen when the mass airflow sensor is going to hell, next time it does it, disconnect the sensor all together and see if it starts then
Old 12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention: not sure if this makes any difference or not, but the previous owner of this car eliminated the throttle body coolant line. Could that present a problem?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.