General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hmm, pulled the carpet, what are all these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, thanks, I have an aftermarket headunit though
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

if u take out the airbag, buy a 1 ohm resistor and plug it into the harness. no more airbag light on the dash
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Launching!

the little black box is in charge of making your car alarm go off if you hit the car with the doors locked. Im not sure if it is purely security or if it is tied in with the air bag...
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Shock sensor for the factory alarm system (or power antenna, hard to tell)

2. Like said, looks like the cigarette lighter.

3. Factory CD changer

4. The box is the air bag module. No telling what the wires are for, there's a few things in the console. Could be the light for the console.

5. That is the through-body connector for the ABS and fuel pump harnesses on the rear end.

Last edited by Spartan7; 01-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
the little black box is in charge of making your car alarm go off if you hit the car with the doors locked. Im not sure if it is purely security or if it is tied in with the air bag...
Crap, so if I ever plan on installing an alarm, I'll need this? Guess it's staying then!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
Crap, so if I ever plan on installing an alarm, I'll need this? Guess it's staying then!
No, the stock shock sensor should be in the back of the car near the antenna. The box in the center of the tunnel is probably your airbag sensor. Yellow electrical connectors and wires always mean airbag system.

Plus, if you ever get an aftermarket alarm, it should come with its own sensors/gear.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
No, the stock shock sensor should be in the back of the car near the antenna. The box in the center of the tunnel is probably your airbag sensor. Yellow electrical connectors and wires always mean airbag system.

Plus, if you ever get an aftermarket alarm, it should come with its own sensors/gear.
Good to know. Its coming out tonight! Snip snip!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vincew1

Fourth pic: I believe is the infamous black box I've heard of. Records speed, etc for crash investigations.
wtf really? The only part that is true is that there is a box that records when the aribags go off. it dose not record time, date, speed, g force, any thing. all it will tell you is that the bags have gone off. our cars do not have the technology for that. the newer vehicles however do.

^^ perfectly said... any thing that has a yellow connector is for airbags. and just FYI any thing that has bright orange loom or connectors are high voltage wires.( these are only on hybrid and electric cars)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Good to know. Its coming out tonight! Snip snip!
BTW - It should go without saying that before you cut in to any airbag (yellow) wire, you'll want to make sure the airbags have been taken out of the car! The process of cutting can create a short that sets them off.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First Pic - Looks like the connectors for the power antenna. One is for the antenna and the other is for the power motor.
Second Pic - Looks like one of the connectors for either the cigarette ligher or the accessory power port.
Third Pic - My guess is the connector for the CD changer. (Even if your car didn't come with all of the options, you'll still have the wiring and connectors for many of them.)

Not sure on the others.

that is what I was going to say, the black box on the rear axle hump is the "grommet" that feeds in all the rear end stuff like tcs,abs wires and etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "black box" started in 99, your car doesnt have one.. the fourth pic is air bag sensor so dont **** with it too much or youll be in for a suprise haha... yea your alarm sensor is above passenger rear tire and you can adjust the sensitivity via a **** on it, if you arent happy with it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t/a98
the "black box" started in 99, your car doesnt have one.. the fourth pic is air bag sensor so dont **** with it too much or youll be in for a suprise haha... yea your alarm sensor is above passenger rear tire and you can adjust the sensitivity via a **** on it, if you arent happy with it.
ya, definitely unplug the battery before messing with airbag stuff as a precaution
Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Done and done. Car hasn't had a battery for a couple months
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that first pic is definately for the power antenna option (pne that goes up and down when you start/turn off the car) I have one of these in my car.

These cars always had the wiring for things they didn't necessarily have-ie I have the wires under my seat for power seats, but I don't have power seats and the car didn't come with them from the factory-theyre just mass produced that way at the factory.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, I've got a couple of new "WTFs" to add! Sorry, I'm finding out I'm utterly useless with cars. Oh well, only one way to learn I guess.

This is in the engine bay, right by the PCM. Two connectors that weren't plugged in. The larger one is in my hand, the smaller one is by my finger
Attached Thumbnails Hmm, pulled the carpet, what are all these?-img_0028.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Couple more in the engine bay:
Attached Thumbnails Hmm, pulled the carpet, what are all these?-img_0037.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Also, what the heck are all these little tags for? They don't really seem to be doing anything
Attached Thumbnails Hmm, pulled the carpet, what are all these?-img_0039.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Also, what the heck are all these little tags for? They don't really seem to be doing anything
The blue thing is a connector positive lock. (Probably for the black connectors by your hand.) It snaps in to the connectors once they are plugged in to each other and keeps them from coming apart from vibrations, etc.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Oh, weird. They're all over my car, and just seem to be sitting on some of the wires.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like someone has been deleting some of the emissions equipment that originally came with the LT1...I believe the plugs near the throttle body were EGR and AIR injection...at least that is where they are on the LS1. I'm not real familiar with the LT1

That small connector by the PCM is a ground wire for one of the dummy lights on the dash. Not sure which one, though.

Also...that "ABS sensor" (original fourth pic) is an accelerometer. The fifth pic on the first page is the bulkhead connector for the fuel pump and fuel tank sensors.