General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cheap way to fix your blinker issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by christrusler
Did you just splice and crimp the wires together ?
I bought some butt connectors that also shrink tight using a cigarette lighter after you crimp them on. Keeps all the moisture out.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

1SLwLS1 ,

Thanks again man, for starting this thread.

Just did mine, took about 45 minutes, went smooth, just time consuming because mine didn't have much slack on the wires. I used butt connector shrinkies. I did it like you did, took off the black plastic headlight covers off and bam, the wires are right there.

Warning:
Pop the lights up and DISCONNECT the battery......I almost had the light close on my hands because I forgot. As soon as I cut the old socket off and stripped the wires, two of the three touched, sparked, burnt my thumb, and the light went down. I just pulled my hands out in time. That would have sucked.......

Kickass fix..........under $20.00

edit: oh yea, when those wires touched it blew the fuse "tail lights" inside on the left side of the dash...20 amp.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you bet. Yea, do disconnect the battery. I got used to that because my old battery that was 3 months old had a dead cell in it. If I had the any of the auxiliary lights on for more than 5 minutes, it would need a jump. This was also when I was going through DS headlights, fog lights, and blinkers every few weeks it seemed like. So I was always having to pop up the lights and take that cover off.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually ended up purchasing the original style that was on my LT1 harness (which was also available) so I could continue to use my LED bulbs. They aren't as high quality as the LS1 style later bulb sockets. They are two piece and not sealed at all. I plan on sealing with silicon. In order to get mine to work however I ended up replacing all the sockets with new ones. It's hard to tell by looking which sockets are bad really. The ones that were bad were not the ones that I originally expected and I ended up replacing them all.

Still, a lot cheaper than a new harness...
Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Its too bad the ***** at GM didn't simply design these blinker lens housings where the socket twists into the top instead of up through the bottom. Then we wouldn't have this water in the socket issue.

I took superglue today and ran it along the little cracks in the lens hoping it won't let water in this time.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by christrusler
Did you just splice and crimp the wires together ?
I did last August...got them at AUTOZONE....9 bux or so each.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to fix your blinker issues.