General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Struggling Upon Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to vatozone to pick up a can of Seafoam but before I even got there I noticed the car was acting up again.
Well, actually, I ran a couple of errands before heading to autozone. The whole time the car ran fine, no problems at all.
After making a stop, and then turning the car back on to head to autozone the car starts to bog in 1st and 3rd gear.

Here's the symptoms/issues I'm experiencing:
At a stop/idling (it seems only after the car has reached operating temp) - car seems to "pop?" or "bump". Similar to the feeling of sitting next to someone with a loud sub blasting. You can feel the vibration pulse through you.
So car pulsates randomly.
Starting in 1st - Car seems to not want to go, step on the gas and it moves but hesitates and struggles, then suddenly catches and goes.
2nd- no problems at all it seems.
3rd- similar to first gear. If I really ease into gear it's fine, but if I need to downshift and go hard, it struggles, and jerks, then randomly catches and goes.
4th- no issues.
5th/Reverse- never got into 5th and no problems in reverse.

So I make it to Autozone and have them check out the SES light.
Same problem as before I believe. Here's what the printout they gave me said.
Troubleshooting P0420
Domestic
Definition
Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1
Explanation
The oxygen sensors monitor the Catalytic Converters ability to store oxygen.
Probable cause
- Catalytic converter defective (failure possibly due to #2, 3, or 4)
- Engine misfire or running condition
- large vacuum leak
- Engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide seals, piston rings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like one of the ign coils or some bad wires. Do you have cats on the car?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevy8806
It sounds like one of the ign coils or some bad wires. Do you have cats on the car?
hm.. I posted this on another forum to get more opinions and someone mentioned coil packs needing replacing. Another mentioned the PCV valve needing replacing.
Coil packs are like $26/ea at autozone, and the PCV valve is like $3 so that's something I can do here soon.
The wires are brand new MSD wires (the red ones) that were just recently installed.
I do not have a cat on the car.
I'm a little confused, isn't the P0420 code a problem with the o2 sensor post-cat? So naturally, having no cat, I should throw that code, right?
But the way the car is struggling is the way it ran when the 2 sensors before the cat were bad. So what the heck?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Ive seen the coils go bad on the 3800. The car throws the P0420 code because you need to get it tuned out. The ECM calculates how the engine the engine is running by your two front O2 is reading. Then it calculates how the cats are suppose to work by the rear O2. Since you have no cats the ECM thinks the cats are bad due to no change in voltage from the rear O2. O2 sensors will not cause a miss. I would bet the coils but wouldnt rule out a sticking egr valve.

Last edited by chevy8806; 02-08-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive seen the coils go bad on the 3800. The car throws the P0420 code because you need to get it tuned out. The ECM calculates how the engine the engine is running by your two front O2 is reading. Then it calculates how the cats are suppose to work by the rear O2. Since you have no cats the ECM thinks the cats are bad due to no change in voltage from the rear O2. O2 sensors will not cause a miss. I would bet the coils but wouldnt rule out a sticking egr valve.
Sweet, thanks for the very helpful reply. So I'm thinking since the coil pack change isn't too bad to do, I'll probably knock it out tomorrow. Is there a way of telling which pack is bad/needs replacing? If I can save money I will anyway I can. Otherwise, is it best just to replace all 3? What causes them to go bad, just age, mileage? I don't want to replace them and something causes them to foul out again, ya know?
The egr valve? This is a new suggestion. Any more info on this?
What are your thoughts on the PCV valve? It's a $3 part and like a 2 minute swap, but would it cause issues?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just do all 3. Really easy and cheap. When I had one go bad it was because moisture caused it to bulge, but I only saw it from the bottom. Looked a lot like lime build-up. Same symptoms that you are having and it was a coil. Just replaced all 3.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to have to drive the car in it's wack condition to work tomorrow and hold off until doing any replacing of parts until Thursday.

Since the PCV is so cheap, I'm going to go ahead and replace that, and the coil packs are like $25/ea so that's not too terrible. This car likes to nickel and dime me!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked the PCV valve, and it was black and gunked up with idk what. I cleaned it off a little with a napkin and replaced it. Drove to AZ to get a replacement, and drove to work. Car ran fine until I got to the parking lot and it started running like ****.
I replaced the PCV valve with the new one and put in a new air filter.
After work, I turn on the car and it's idling rough. The drive home was scary, car did NOT want to move. Worse than before.
I managed to crawl to autozone and picked up 2 (they only had 2) of the 3 coilpacks. I guess I'll be doing these tomorrow.

Any other advice guys?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old coil packs are out. New ones in tomorrow.

Had a hell of a time getting to the screws tucked under the cowl.
Took 3 trips to vatozone and $$ to buy a flexible extension and a 2" skinny extension to get to them. Install should be easy... hopefully.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a coil to me , sadly there isnt really an easy way to check the coils. What i have done in the ast is get a spark tool which has a light in it and put it in line with the plug if it lights up you have spark. Other wise jus take the plug boot off and listen for a click.... However wear rubber gloves and be careful!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

^Thanks, I'm hoping at this point it is just a bad coil.
I did notice that one pack (the middle one-of course) had ALOT of orange, what I'm guessing was like oxidation, rust, or some kind of corrosion, on one of the terminals. I hope that's the culprit. The other 5 prongs seemed to be pretty clean.
Will post update later.
Any thing I need to do/worry about?
Put coils in, install correct wires to each terminal, and replace neg battery terminal, and start her up, yes?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update-
Replaced coils this afternoon and let the car idle for a few minutes. No issues there, so I took the car for a spirited drive around the surrounding streets around campus. Experimented with accelerating fast/hard, and slow/babying it. Perfect response regardless, and no problems at all.
Finger's crossed, this was the problem and it's now resolved!
Time will tell.
Thanks to everyone that posted for all the help!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
01-29-2010, 11:17 PM Try checking the coil packs - your first problem sounded like a combination of plugs/wires/coil packs - you've done 2/3....
Woot woooot... I had your problem solved back in January
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
Woot woooot... I had your problem solved back in January
Lol yeah, but the problem went away when I replaced the o2's, plugs and wires.

Plus lack of money kept me from buying more parts until just now when I NEEDed them. haha
Thanks for helping me out man.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

The only way i was taught to test for bad coils if you or anyone comes across it again, it to use a test light and make a very tiny poke in the boot of the wires on the coils. Hook the test light to ground. while the car is acting up, probe the top of the boot of the wire. Which ever one that doesnt cause the engine to change the way its running then assume the coil is bad.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only way i was taught to test for bad coils if you or anyone comes across it again, it to use a test light and make a very tiny poke in the boot of the wires on the coils. Hook the test light to ground. while the car is acting up, probe the top of the boot of the wire. Which ever one that doesnt cause the engine to change the way its running then assume the coil is bad.
this guy knows his ****

Quick Reply: Struggling Upon Acceleration