General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking belt/Idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
Well I just got a DEALER alternator bracket and a DEALER idler pulley that fit on the bracket.
the pulley rubs the bracket.

What
The

And if I tighten the pulley too much it wont spin. So now i have it on there. I'm debating on whether to start it up. Also got a $30 gatorback belt.

I guess im wondering how can DEALER OEM parts not be compatible with one another? BTW it rub with and without the dustjacket and washer.
Sorry to hear, did you overtorque the pulley bolt? 37 ft lbs does the trick IIRC

if the parts dont work for you id take em back ASAP
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

No, I didn't over tighten.

I put on my old pulley and bracket again . . . .no problems. .

Guess im going to take both my brackets and pulleys in the dealer for a little "show and tell".
Old 03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
The TSB dated March 2000 lists the new part numbers for the idler pulley and alternator bracket, 12563326, 12563327. It was a mid 2000 change on the production line. The earlier pulley WONT fit on the later bracket. The pulley is the same size but the bearing is wider on the later one. The aftermarket is scarce on the different pulleys. You can find the early one easy,the later one, not so much. I had to special order DAYCO 89159 from pimp boys, 40$. The bearings in all the pulleys do not last forever, cheap insurance to replace all of them........... How do you repack the sealed bearings in these pulleys???????
which bracket did you get from gm? how did you jack your mtr up to replace the mounts, did you drain your radiator or get any other fluids on the belt after your mount replacement?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK so did it stop squealing? A bit confused. If not make sure the belt isn't doing it. To check get some Irish spring soap and put it on the belt while it is running. Front and back. I had a squeal after I put my underdrive and new belt on and I couldn't figure it out. Buddy of mine brought out the soap and no more squeal.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

the squealing stopped BUT the new pulley is rubbing the new alternator bracket. Both the pulley and the bracket are OEM from the dealer.
however the old alternator bracket and pulley did not rub but did squeak.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Just get some belt dressing and start spraying pullies. Spray them one at a time, when the squeak stops thats the bad pulley. This is what I did on my car, ended up being my A/C belt tensioner.
I recently bought my own '99 Trans AM which is in fantastic shape. 46k miles, looks like new inside, outside and under the hood. As I'm getting to know the car, I have noticed a little belt squeaking / squealing when at idle. It's not very loud, but it has been there the past couple of days. To my knowledge neither of the belts or any of the pulleys have been replaced before. Is there a standard mileage at which it is recommended the belts / pulleys get replaced?

If the squealing continues, I'd like to start with the belt dressing strategy since it seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to start. What is the best belt dressing product to purchase from a place like O'Reilleys? What's the best strategy for applying it to a pulley? Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a concrete bolt kit which had the perfect size washer to use to space out the pulley from the replacement GM bracket. If you use the stock spacer, it will have the pulley rub the alternator bracket.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JustYoder
If the squealing continues, I'd like to start with the belt dressing strategy since it seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to start. What is the best belt dressing product to purchase from a place like O'Reilleys? What's the best strategy for applying it to a pulley? Thanks for any advice.
Do not use belt dressing on your LS1. You will regret it later. You'll have a heck of a mess to clean up as you try to eliminate the sticky sounding belts to go along with the original issue of chirping belts.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Gatorback belt!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
Well I just got a DEALER alternator bracket and a DEALER idler pulley that fit on the bracket.
the pulley rubs the bracket.

What
The

And if I tighten the pulley too much it wont spin. So now i have it on there. I'm debating on whether to start it up. Also got a $30 gatorback belt.

I guess im wondering how can DEALER OEM parts not be compatible with one another? BTW it rub with and without the dustjacket and washer.
is it the correct P/N on the pulley?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Launching!

your belt might be looks take a string and put it around your pulley(new one) than mark it . Next take the same string and put it around the old pulley measure the distance and times that by pie 3.14 and thats what you need for belt length......my alternator pulley was deeper causing belt slippage across all pulleys making the squeak. Which I thought was coming from belt tensioner ...i replaced said tensioner an it still did it . I finnally got a belt 56.5 from autozone....fixed it all the squeaks gone

Quick Reply: Squeaking belt/Idler pulley