General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wipers park straight up when off -- work fine otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wipers park straight up when off -- work fine otherwise

The wipers on my 97 SS operate normally when switched on -- they pause at the proper position, sweep across the normal range of movement and have no abnormal behavior when they are active. When you switch them off however, they complete one extra cycle and then park straight up on the windshield.

I did several searches and most everything pointed to the circuit board jobbie on the wiper motor, so I bought a used motor+board assembly from a salvage yard, installed it and the same problem persists. Both the old and "new" motors have all the respective pieces and springs with no visible distinction between them. I suppose it's possible that I inherited the identical problem from another car's wiper motor, but I'm suspecting it's likely something else.

Could there be something in the switch/stalk on the steering column that could cause this behavior? What can I do to isolate and test further? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Launching!

Have the same problem!! Cant wait for the responses...
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The motor has a park relay and a park switch. When you turn the wipers off, the circuit board attached to the motor commands the park relay on and is supposed to engage the motor to park. It will then move the wipers down until the park switch opens, at that point the wipers turn off. I would bet you have another faulty circuit board.

I havent looked at the linkages on these cars in awhile so I cant remember if they have a transmission on them or not, but on some other GM cars a tab bends on the transmission causing it to not park where it should.

Unfortunatly you cant really test the circuit board...actually you could if you have the pinouts.

The switch on the column provides the motor circuit board with just a few inputs, none of which have anything to do with parking the arms.

Quick Reply: Wipers park straight up when off -- work fine otherwise