General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new car/bad leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new car/bad leak

I'm calling for help on my newly purchased 2002 z28 camaro..I bought it about a month ago, drove it home 200 miles without a hiccup, been driving it for about a month, when I noticed one day that I had a small puddle of coolant underneath the car..this is my second ls vehicle so my first thoughts were "water pump" it was also making a whirling sound so that again led me to believe it was the water pump, and lastly the leak seemed to be around the passenger side k-member again "water pump" so..

I replaced the water pump, and gaskets *I have the metal ones* and it ran completely fine for about 2 weeks, BUT I couldnt ever seem to get the system to top off and I continued to smell anti freeze..Then after coming out of the gym I noticed a nice sized puddle of coolant again, started my drive home as I dont live far maybe 2 miles, and it started over heating..got home pulled the radiator cap off and of course its low, I had an extra gallon of antifreeze/water so I poured it in and the car literately just drank the entire gallon in a matter of a few minutes...without knowing the history of the car and given these symptoms where can I start my quest to find this ghost..I will point out that I did see coolant around the hoses after replacing the water pump..any help would be great..maybe the thermostat stuck closed?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

how old are the hoses? the lower hose tends to leak where it connects to the pump. if you can't see any drips, get some UV dye and that will point to the problem for you
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

hlaalu, thanks ill give it a look the hoses look like they are stock..after replacing the pump I reconnected the hoses, and after driving it there was clearly coolant around that area, it looked like it was being sprayed or misting and not pouring out, i was looking into possibly a blown head gasket, but then engine block is bone dry, its right around the 3 hoses and a/c
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Not a head gasket. Unless you have oil and water in your radiator and engine coolant reservoir. Check your heater core hoses. Those ALWAYS go out first. It might have gotten burned by the manifolds or headers. If they are you can do by pass on them.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

SS...Ill give it a look when the weather permits, right around this time to, I had what sounded like an exhaust leak from the same side..and yeah i dont think its a head gasket, but ill look at my hoses b/c its def coming from that area
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Most likely heater hose related. . . . Those things like to fall apart and not seal.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Launching!

If you are really wanting to check the hole system go to autozone and rent a presure tester. It will show you every leak there is. Just do not I repeat not put to much presure. You will regret it.