General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC recharge question, just refill and good to go??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you want to be a tool, you can fix things in different ways. . . . . .WTF works for you does not make it right. . . .

Really, hose clamps. . . . . LOL. . . . If it works it works. . . . . I guess.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

i would have suggested mighty bond
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

JB Weld does fix all also. . . . . .
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Me and a buddy are gonna be replacing his compressor soon. He has a new one already waiting to go on. I was planning on replacing the orifice tube/screen thats in the metal line and seal the system up and take it to the ac place. Where is this dryer yall speak of located? Also, is there an O'ring kit for the ac system?? Im lost as to what exactly to replace with the compressor swap.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

You'll need the orings that come with the compressor, they should be in the box with it. The drier is a good sized metal can in line with the evaporator. There isn't a complete oring kit for the system that I'm aware of.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can buy a new drier at an auto parts store??
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

yup, any of them.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

What is the drier. . . . lol . . . It's hard to miss, look big *** aluminum can on the passenger's side. . . . I would post a pick, but it is hard to miss.

You will need, the receiver drier, orifice tube, the O rings, compressor and some PAG oil(15 I think), unless the compressor comes prefilled.

As far as refrigerant, I think ours takes 1.5 Lbs. < I think
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samson_420
What is the drier. . . . lol . . . It's hard to miss, look big *** aluminum can on the passenger's side. . . . I would post a pick, but it is hard to miss.

You will need, the receiver drier, orifice tube, the O rings, compressor and some PAG oil(15 I think), unless the compressor comes prefilled.

As far as refrigerant, I think ours takes 1.5 Lbs. < I think
It was a little in depth of what I said earlier BUT ^ this is basic and true!!.
Listen guys, I dont want to get in a pissing match with anyone so I am only trying to help the OP and anyone else tha wants to listen or needs help with their system.
Anyone on here, anyone who really needs help can PM me and I will give them my phone # and personally help them out on thier situation!!
I will say this to patch things up....my last post was lengthy, but correct. If you dont have a vaccum pump or any other tools to DO THE JOB RIGHT, then find some help. Because it WILL work and blow cold if you just throw refrigerant on top without a vaccum. Is it right? no, but WILL, I repeat, will work. I dont know how well and for how long...thats out of my hands because of too many variables. Some, it may work indefinately and some it may never cool.
Now that said... No vaccum pump, no problem. Try throwing refrigerant in on the high side and cracking the low side valve for a bit till to help push the atmospheric air out using the liquid refrigerant. There is no way of really telling when the refrigerant starts to come out instead of air but just take a wild guess...prob around 15 sec of bleeding before most air is out. This will help alot! It wont work the best but like I said before..it WILL work.
any questions please feel free to give me a PM. I am always looking to help any motorist! Good luck ya'll
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Me and a buddy are gonna be replacing his compressor soon. He has a new one already waiting to go on. I was planning on replacing the orifice tube/screen thats in the metal line and seal the system up and take it to the ac place. Where is this dryer yall speak of located? Also, is there an O'ring kit for the ac system?? Im lost as to what exactly to replace with the compressor swap.
Hey buddy, the drier/accumulator is located on the passenger side mounted on the front of the wheel tower. It is alumn and shiny looking can. This is your drier and accumulator all in one piece. Yes, i am sure you can get everything you need at any parts place that is down the road from you. Very little items left on these cars are dealer items anymore. Good luck
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the process of replacing my compressor and accumulator also. Where exactly is the orifice tube? Anybody have any pics or p/n for it?
Thanks, this thread has been a great help.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont have any pics but i will try to help by memory. my car is stored and not here at my house right now....
If you are looking at the two lines coming from our Evap(coil from inside the car) you will see one line is almost all if not all alumn, small and on top(like i said, by memory) the other, rubber(part rubber and alumn) and much bigger.
The larger tubing is your suction tubing and the smaller is liquid line or high side. You want to deal with the smaller one. If you take this smaller tubing loose(held on by 1 bolt) at the firewall, you will be careful and slightly bend this out of the way and look up in the tubing and see a plastic X in the tubing itself. Take some needle nose pliers and grab that plastice X and tug on it to come out. This is your so called Orfice. It will be about 2.5 inches long and about the diameter of a pencil with a screen mesh attached. Any other questions, post away. Good luck
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Just because a stealership doesnt do it doesnt mean its right. But it's all about what you want to do. If it works, it works. and if you dont have the money to have it done right then I hear ya, do whatever you can to get it working, been there done that.

Most people think vacuuming it is just to get the air out, but when you vacuum it, it lowers the boiling point of moisture and BOILS out any condensation/moisture in the system, plus tells you if theres a leak, and gets the air out.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Z28
I'm in the process of replacing my compressor and accumulator also. Where exactly is the orifice tube? Anybody have any pics or p/n for it?
Thanks, this thread has been a great help.

Anyone ever seen the drier bag located in a canister thats attached to the condensor in front of the radiator? (not a camaro btw)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
Just because a stealership doesnt do it doesnt mean its right. But it's all about what you want to do. If it works, it works. and if you dont have the money to have it done right then I hear ya, do whatever you can to get it working, been there done that.

Most people think vacuuming it is just to get the air out, but when you vacuum it, it lowers the boiling point of moisture and BOILS out any condensation/moisture in the system, plus tells you if theres a leak, and gets the air out.
This is actually very close but a tad bit misleading. It DOES bring the boiling point down and does vacuum out the unwanted moisture but should not be a way of finding leaks. If it has a leak and you have a big sucker(no pun intended) vacuum pump sucking the air out, then what are you drawing in if your system is leaking? Yes you see there is a leak because it doesnt hold a vacuum yes, but it also intruduces more moisture to the system .. Use pressure guys. clean pressure like nitrogen. if it leaks you find it and it blows atmosphere away and not suck it in.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

Anyone ever seen the drier bag located in a canister thats attached to the condensor in front of the radiator? (not a camaro btw)
Thanx for the pic showing location of the orfice! I dont do well posting pics so Im glad someone is. BTW, the accumulator/drier canister is attached to that upper alumn/rubber tubing on the fender well. Maybe I can man up and get a pic of mine to post to help my lsx peeps out

Quick Reply: AC recharge question, just refill and good to go??