General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS INOP & Brake Light On

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow ABS INOP & Brake Light On

Noticed today after i put my 295/45/17 m/t street radials on my abs inop light is on with the brake light while im driving, car feels fine, what is this though?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running the same size front and back? If not that may be the problem. Two different rotational speeds can cause the abs to disable.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there's plenty of answers if you do a search. But the short version, although i'm not 100% sure, is that there are sensors on all four hubs that send feedback to control both Traction Control and ABS. The change of speed from having different sized tires on the back basically confuse those systems, and those lights come on. Apparently there's no way to FIX this (not even tune), aside from just putting the right size back on. Some would suggest disabling the abs module; i really don't know. Do a forum seach
Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Are you running the same size front and back? If not that may be the problem. Two different rotational speeds can cause the abs to disable.
Originally Posted by Nemesis350
Well there's plenty of answers if you do a search. But the short version, although i'm not 100% sure, is that there are sensors on all four hubs that send feedback to control both Traction Control and ABS. The change of speed from having different sized tires on the back basically confuse those systems, and those lights come on. Apparently there's no way to FIX this (not even tune), aside from just putting the right size back on. Some would suggest disabling the abs module; i really don't know. Do a forum seach
yea i got 275/40/17 up front and 295/40/17 in the rear which are taller, so will i hurt anything? or just wont have any abs? i thought u can retune the car with the new tire size??
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it won't hurt anything. I have a predator and when I had different front and rear sizes I was able to program for it and I didn't lose my abs and never had a problem using the predator to do it. I have read like above that not even a tune can fix it, but it worked in my case. Now I just run the same front and back so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it won't hurt anything. I have a predator and when I had different front and rear sizes I was able to program for it and I didn't lose my abs and never had a problem using the predator to do it. I have read like above that not even a tune can fix it, but it worked in my case. Now I just run the same front and back so I don't have to worry about it.
so does the abs still work then?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Well that's really good to know! I was just relaying what i read previously on several posts... i'm glad you shared that. I've been running staggered sizes for a couple of months now and the lights get really annoying. My brakes suck garbage anyways, so i wasn't too concerned about that.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that's really good to know! I was just relaying what i read previously on several posts... i'm glad you shared that. I've been running staggered sizes for a couple of months now and the lights get really annoying. My brakes suck garbage anyways, so i wasn't too concerned about that.
yea so will i lose my abs or not lol?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

You could always test it out and see... LOL sorry, i know that's not a good suggestion. My brake system sucked before this happened, so i really couldn't say with certainty.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

If the ABS INOP light is on, then yes, ABS will not work. Just slam on your brakes a couple times, you'll see.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could always test it out and see... LOL sorry, i know that's not a good suggestion. My brake system sucked before this happened, so i really couldn't say with certainty.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Originally Posted by Rushin
If the ABS INOP light is on, then yes, ABS will not work. Just slam on your brakes a couple times, you'll see.
haha, im sure there has to be a way to run bigger tires back there and still have the abs too, why is the brake light on as well?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My abs still worked when I did it. Now if it doesn't work then don't, you know, but don't just get one to fix that one problem. The predators aren't cheap. Useful, but not cheap. The only problem with them is you can only use them on 1 car at a time. But like I said before I run the same size front and back now. Still can program whee/tire size for correct speed reading tho.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

My abs still worked when I did it. Now if it doesn't work then don't, you know, but don't just get one to fix that one problem. The predators aren't cheap. Useful, but not cheap. The only problem with them is you can only use them on 1 car at a time. But like I said before I run the same size front and back now. Still can program whee/tire size for correct speed reading tho.
so it still worked even though ur light was on?