General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter motor mount on block....broke.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Starter motor mount on block....broke.....

Is that fixable with the engine still in the car?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlikely...it'll need welding, right? Too hard to do in the car.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What is it with these things breaking? I pray for the day I have to change mine out.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you mean the mounting boss actually broke off? or just that the holes are stripped... If the holes are stripped they can be fixed in the car, if the boss is broken, I doubt that could be done in the car.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RARON455
do you mean the mounting boss actually broke off? or just that the holes are stripped... If the holes are stripped they can be fixed in the car, if the boss is broken, I doubt that could be done in the car.
Yup, half of one mounting boss broke off.

Looks like lots of room to get in there to weld it back on, but I don't know **** about welding.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
What is it with these things breaking? I pray for the day I have to change mine out.
My starter has been on and off about 7 times since I've had the car. Don't know why it broke now.

If I can't fix it in the car I might just have to order a resleeved LS2 from RED next week and do the 454ci I've been wanting to do.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a auto tech teacher that had this same thing happen to his GMC truck. He had to get a new engine just for some stupid mount breaking. I'm not sure if he looked into welding it back on or not though. You would think it would be simple enough to do.

This is a good excuse for you to upgrade though. That's what I love about breaking things.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to save the next engine use the truck starter with the two equal length bolts. It won't break off like the stock ls1 starter does. The problem is the ls1 starter is weak because of the way it mounts with one short bolt. If the engine gets tough to turn over for ANY reason the mount on the short side breaks off taking the block with it because the starter twists itself away from the engine. As it twists away from the fltwheel the longer bolt can't break off so it breaks the engine mount off with it as it moves with the starter.
The stronger truck starter can't break off like this bevause the inboard mount is stronger using the longer bolt.

Actually GM should have updated this but never did!

You can find the updated starter : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-S...Q5fAccessories

read carefully it doesn't include the longer bolt, this will stop the broken block problem.

This one includes the longer bolt http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Start...item53e0021caf

All ls1 engines should use this stronger design but if you plan on doing ANY mods to the engine this should be your 1st one!

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 03-27-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

I'm not sure but if you use this truck starter with the broken block you might get away with it. It won't break off like the stock ls1 starter, it might work.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
If you want to save the next engine use the truck starter with the two equal length bolts. It won't break off like the stock ls1 starter does. The problem is the ls1 starter is weak because of the way it mounts with one short bolt. If the engine gets tough to turn over for ANY reason the mount on the short side breaks off taking the block with it because the starter twists itself away from the engine. As it twists away from the fltwheel the longer bolt can't break off so it breaks the engine mount off with it as it moves with the starter.
The stronger truck starter can't break off like this bevause the inboard mount is stronger using the longer bolt.

Actually GM should have updated this but never did!

You can find the updated starter : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-S...Q5fAccessories

read carefully it doesn't include the longer bolt, this will stop the broken block problem.

This one includes the longer bolt http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Start...item53e0021caf
Hmmm, my starter has two bolts. One is short and one is long. The longer bolt is the one that broke the block mount.
Attached Thumbnails Starter motor mount on block....broke.....-dsc02034.jpg   Starter motor mount on block....broke.....-dsc02035.jpg   Starter motor mount on block....broke.....-dsc02036.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

right, because the short side broke off 1st or the inside bolt was loose etc.........the starter then twists off the block ...as it does the longer bolt can't break off so it breaks the block.... read above again LOL

you can lead a horse to water but getting him to drink is another story...good luck.....

don't thank me either...LOL

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 03-27-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
right, because the short side broke off 1st.........the starter then twists off the block ...as it does the longer bolt can't break off so it breaks the block.... read above again LOL

you can lead a horse to water but getting him to drink is another story...good luck.....
Your confusing me for some reason.

The short side never broke. Just the long side mount broke. How would two equal length bolts change anything?

And when you say I ight get away with using the truck starter on this broken block......are you saying to just use one bolt, the shorter one?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

No listen carefully...one more time.....the starter load is on the inside bolt because the starter turns clockwise. If the inside bolt comes loose OR the starter housing cracks towards the inside the starter gets forced down on the inside, this causes the longer bolt to move outwards breaking the block off. Using the updated starter avouds this, thats why the trucks use it....niot sure why gm screwed us car guys....Good luck.

Ps i would use a torque wrench on my starter bolts, its important on these aluminum block engines that inside bolt stays tight. BUt if the short side mount breaks or cracks under pressure it will still fail.

USE THE TRUCK STARTER, it won't fail like this.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

To get away with using this now do this..........

Buy a truck starter using the longer bolt inside AND use a longer bolt on the outside to keep it aligned. I think it will work because thw load is on the inside bolt. The stock ls1 starter is too weak to handle that load with one short bolt because its weak in that area.

Its worth a try.

Sorry maybe i'm not exlaining all this properly but i think you get the idea.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

If you were to bolt the starter back on with one short bolt on the inside. It would break right offbecause the stock ls1 housing is too weak.. BUT if you use the truck starter it won't break off because the housing is much stronger. but you need the outside bolt in place to keep it striaght aligned with the flywheel SO use a longer bolt with a nut on top.

or use your imagimation...the important bolt is the inside one...not the outside.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ok Im confused did it break while you were removing it or did it break off while starting the engine or something?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
ok Im confused did it break while you were removing it or did it break off while starting the engine or something?
lol.........
Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand what you are saying about the shorter bolt and longer bolt, etc. But what if the longer bolt that is on the inside is loose. Wouldn't it do the same thing and break the outside? Maybe I don't understand as much as I think.

Or you said use the longer bolt and put a nut on top of it. Is that just for an extra precaution, or for some reason, use the longer bolt w/ the stock LS1 starter, and put the nut on top for extra security? I wish I had my car home to look at it. Would be a lot easier to visualize. I had my starter off when I swapped trannys, and I was paranoid about this happening, though I never torqued the bolts, just made good and sure they were tight. Something I want to look at more closely when I bring the car out of storage.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Banned

Wow this is getting hard to explain but if you never want to worry about this replace the starter with the long bolt type and torque the bolts properly AND THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

The stock starter has one short and one long bolt, this design is VERY WEAK. If the bolts come loose or the starter housing breaks at the short bolt the starter will move away from the block. This forces the long bolt sideways breaking the block.

The truck starter uses a much stronger housing with two LONG bolts.......it won't break off. Even if the bolts come loose the housing won't twist or break like the weaker car starter could.

I just can't keep going over this with you guys....just do as a say and you can forget about it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ It makes sense and I'm reading it at 3:40 am.