General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

~~Anyone using cheapo AZ/Advance wire set? Did I get the right Plugs?~~

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ~~Anyone using cheapo AZ/Advance wire set? Did I get the right Plugs?~~

Hearing about the issues of MSD wires not clicking and the Taylors arching, I'm starting to favor the cheaper route. Anyone running the cheapie store brand or OEM without issues?

Also something that has got me worried is that I bought a set of plugs; NGK TR55's. This set did not show up in either AZ nor Advance computers. I had to specifically ask for TR55's. So did I do good or no?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Advance autolite wires without a problem. I've had them on for a few Kmiles and they've held up decently. Plug wise usually when you go to auto parts you usually have to ask specifically for those plugs because they do not come out under the list of plugs that these cars can use but they work great. So you should be set
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

my MSDs are great......using champion iridiums i got from pimp boys..........no pro here
Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Autozone wires and ACDelco Iridiums on my LS1. Haven't had a problem with either.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

$36.00 Advance Auto wires are great. They're probably the same brand at PepBoys and AutoZone too,not sure. They perform exactly like the factory wires. They also perform exactly like the bullshit expensive Taylor Thunderbolts. The Taylor Thunderbolts are also total crap quality.....the first time I pulled them off to change my plugs....like 5 of them broke easily (and yes, pulling at the boot). Good thing I kept my factory wires so I could put them back on. I got the Advance Auto wires a couple years later. The Advance Auto plugs are tough. They are good for my 427ci, they'll be good for you too.

The TR55's are getting harder and harder to find for some reason. Just ask for TR5 plugs.....they are 100% identical. They just have a different model number because they came from the manufacturer gapped differently. Just gap them how you need them.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
I'm running the Advance autolite wires without a problem. I've had them on for a few Kmiles and they've held up decently. Plug wise usually when you go to auto parts you usually have to ask specifically for those plugs because they do not come out under the list of plugs that these cars can use but they work great. So you should be set
Autolite is the Advance name?

So even though the comp doesnt say Im OK? There wouldnt be difference in thread, size, etc?

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
my MSDs are great......using champion iridiums i got from pimp boys..........no pro here
I didnt mean to imply that all MSDs have problems, but there is quite a few posts on it. And of course absolute hatred for the Taylors.

Originally Posted by FBDYLVR
Autozone wires and ACDelco Iridiums on my LS1. Haven't had a problem with either.
Whats the AZ name?

Originally Posted by LS6427
$36.00 Advance Auto wires are great. They're probably the same brand at PepBoys and AutoZone too,not sure. They perform exactly like the factory wires. They also perform exactly like the bullshit expensive Taylor Thunderbolts. The Taylor Thunderbolts are also total crap quality.....the first time I pulled them off to change my plugs....like 5 of them broke easily (and yes, pulling at the boot). Good thing I kept my factory wires so I could put them back on. I got the Advance Auto wires a couple years later. The Advance Auto plugs are tough. They are good for my 427ci, they'll be good for you too.

The TR55's are getting harder and harder to find for some reason. Just ask for TR5 plugs.....they are 100% identical. They just have a different model number because they came from the manufacturer gapped differently. Just gap them how you need them.

So you had the same hell with the cheapo as you and most others had with the Taylors?

Well I was wondering about the plugs because I already got them. Computer said they wouldnt work, I wanted to make sure it was wrong.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Been running the TR55's for 4 years now. You can't ask for the TR55's, at least at AutoZone where I work, the part # is 3951 if you want the TR55's. Haven't stopped recieving them yet.
I had Crane Firewires, I pulled the boots out on accident, always use grease I didn't, and replaced them with Duralasts wires, AZ brand, working just fine.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet looks like Im good with the Spark Plugs.

Ill be getting the plug wires tomorrow and Ill put everything in. This will be fun LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
So you had the same hell with the cheapo as you and most others had with the Taylors?
No...the Advance Auto cheapos are way better than the MSD's or Taylors. No comparison.

TR55 or TR5.....same plugs.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Launching!

I'm actually glad to hear that I was actually thinking of changing my wires out later on but looks like I got more money in my pocket.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
No...the Advance Auto cheapos are way better than the MSD's or Taylors. No comparison.

TR55 or TR5.....same plugs.

Advance cheapos are $80 WOW

I think Im going to try the Duralast for $36. They have a lifetime warranty too

Am I pushing it if I use Duralast?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
Advance cheapos are $80 WOW

I think Im going to try the Duralast for $36. They have a lifetime warranty too

Am I pushing it if I use Duralast?
I am using duralast wires and tr55 plugs in my t/a and they are great. i also have taylor wires and tr55 plugs in my z28 and hav enever had a problem

TR5 and TR55 are NOT the same plug. the TR5 will not expand to the correct gap needed to be run in an fbody. the maximum gap you can run on a TR5 is .049, where as factory gap is .060 The auto store messed up and gave me TR5's and when i gapped them the car misfired and ran like **** because they come gapped at .035, and the TR55's come gapped at .055

Go with TR55 plugs. oreilley's auto parts are the only stores that even carry NGK plugs here.