General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcobra99
How about not posting useless posts on my thread to get you post count up unless, you have something helpful to say?? At least read the entire thread. On the first post i clearly stated i let the G/F tighten it down. Obviously, she went gorilla mode with the filter wrench.
Oil filters are to be installed BY HAND. DO NOT use a filter wrench for installation. That goes for you and your gf.

And to those recommending the K&N filter... overtighten it and it will do the same thing. I've seen the nut on the end shear off and destroy the filter more than once.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

UPDATE I finally JUST got the filter off. I stayed up all damn night fooling with the POS. I ended up loosening the hex fitting. Man, that damn thing was tighter than a crank pully bolt. I had to use a breaker bar with a 3ft cheater bar over it just to get it to budge. Only problem now is the fitting is stuck to the filter. I don't think I'm getting it out I'm going to just order a new one from the dealer. I'm going to hang the filter up in my garage to remind myself how much hell a smashed filter can be. I'm only buying K&n oil filters from now on. They have a nut welded to the bottom of the filter. O well, i can finally rest easy now that this isn't on the back of my mind Thanks everyone
Oil filters only have to be hand tightened....then maybe turn it like 1/2 inch to 1 inch more with an oil filter ratchet. They aren't going anywhere. Just like spark plugs, hand tight then a little tiny snug with a ratchet.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have snapped off more sparkplugs trying to pull them off then I care to acknowledge. You would think that has taught me to use Anti-Seize... Nope Im still an idiot. I have a K&N oil filter on my Z28 right now, first time ive used one. I plan on letting it stay for 2 oil changes instead of my typical every oil change/change the filter method.... But I'll probably pull it off just the same to check for debris and such.......

The only oil filters I have had that happen with are the damn Fram Filters.... I swear they use the cheapest damn materials for their parts.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about not posting useless posts on my thread to get you post count up unless, you have something helpful to say?? At least read the entire thread. On the first post i clearly stated i let the G/F tighten it down. Obviously, she went gorilla mode with the filter wrench.

Guess thats what you get for letting your girl work on your car eh? Chill out dude, just saying you dont need a special filter, just hand-tighten it.

BTW, what you said is

""I think i might have let the G/F tighten down the oil filter last time"

Last edited by mike171562; 04-28-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get the oil filter off my Toyota truck (22RE) since its on the side of the motor and its under the intake manifold. I tried everything already. Oil filter wrench (one that sits on the end of the oil filter), screw driver through the side, rubber oil filter wrench with handle. It wouldn't come off. What I did was drill a hole through the oil filter wrench on the side and put a 2" self tapping screw through it. Then I put the ratchet on it and got it loose.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Oil filters are to be installed BY HAND. DO NOT use a filter wrench for installation. That goes for you and your gf.

And to those recommending the K&N filter... overtighten it and it will do the same thing. I've seen the nut on the end shear off and destroy the filter more than once.
Yeah I was going to recommend one of those fram tough gaurd filters, they have like rhino liner on the bottom so they don't slip in your hand when you put them on, go that route and just throw your filter wrench in the garbage, my dad is like that where he insists on using the wrench, I can always tell when he change the oil last in one of our cars since they are a PITA to get off.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

If you put oil on the oring before instaling the new oil filter it will spin off easily. Without oil on it it bakes fast to the block.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I'm always fearful the oil filter will work its way loose and spin off!

So your all telling me that hand-tight, with only a little extra spin, is good enough?

How does the filter not shake loose?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear you got the damn thing off, I couldn't imagine anything more frustrating than a 5hr oil change.

So I guess what we have learned: If your GF is capable of breaking open barrels and/or looks like this, do not let her tighten your oil filter!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk

So your all telling me that hand-tight, with only a little extra spin, is good enough?

3/4 turn after filter base makes contact. You can put them on by hand. Oil on seal is a must. Always make sure you check that old seal came off with old filter. Seen two seals end up on there before and leak like a #$%&*. Then usually you can take them off by hand, but most times I end up using a wrench still to get them off. They won't shake loose.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Yea always just put them on hand tight. I can usually take it off with my hand if I get a good dry grip on it. Ive always heard to put oil on the oring seal prior to installation so I make effort to do that.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by b_evans06
Ive always heard to put oil on the oring seal prior to installation
Yes, you should always rub some fresh oil on the seal before putting it on. Also, if it's possible (if the oil filter is mounted on the bottom of the engine) you should fill the oil filter up part way with fresh oil. The oil's only been changed once on my Camaro and I didn't do it so I don't know how the filter is mounted on these (haven't had it long).
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

or it was cross threaded
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never have I seen a filter fall off, and I've seen LOTS of loose filters. Usually a substantial oil leak is the first indicator. But that's installer error.

Yes.

Magic.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to see you got it off!

I couldn't imagine that nightmare lol, thanks for the helpful info.

I also showed my gf how to change her oil last time, I hope she didn't tighten it down like that
Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Holy nightmare batman...., I'm glad it all worked out finally. And we all learned a little.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why I use K&Ns...they have a 1" nut welded on the case. Just through a 1" socket/ratchet on there and ur done!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

I'm only buying K&n oil filters from now on.
Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Wow that sucks man but that is why I seriously buy K&N filters. Put a damn impact on that SOB.
Originally Posted by baalic
I have a K&N oil filter on my Z28 right now
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

had that problem on a v6 firestone did an oil change on. i used a vice grip gently tapping it with a hammer and it eventually worked loose. mind you i didnt destroy it like you did though but i did crumple it in half before i got the hammer out
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

The top of the filter (with the little holes) is like a spring washer, as you tighten it it becomes spring loaded to stay tight. When overtightened it galls into the nipple too hard.

Next time you install a filter spin it on 1/2 turn past contact, then try to spin it back you will see what I am saying.

Quick Reply: DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!