General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People when this happens use a strap wrench. It works before you demolish the filter housing.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcobra99
How about not posting useless posts on my thread to get you post count up unless, you have something helpful to say?? At least read the entire thread. On the first post i clearly stated i let the G/F tighten it down. Obviously, she went gorilla mode with the filter wrench.
how about not teaching your girlfriend the wrong way to do an oil change.

oil filters are tightened by hand.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97LT1
People when this happens use a strap wrench. It works before you demolish the filter housing.
I have two strap wrenches at home with the rubber strap and not once has one ever loosened anything for me. They always just slipped on the part or whatever. Now are you talking the fabric strap wrench with a steel handle?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I have two strap wrenches at home with the rubber strap and not once has one ever loosened anything for me. They always just slipped on the part or whatever. Now are you talking the fabric strap wrench with a steel handle?
i read this thread and it sure sounds like a lot of people don't know how to change their oil.

those wrenches work pretty damn well. you just have to know how to use it.

but, you really don't need one. i drive my car for 10k miles or more until i change the oil (synthetic can last that long) and all i do is hand-tighten my oil filter and it's never a problem, nor is it even easy to get off when i change the oil again. the worst thing that would happen is it would start to come loose, and i'm sure you would see oil dripping on the ground before your filter would fall off. even so, i don't think either are likely.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

or this... harbor freight sells it cheap..

Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer

This, twist til snug, then 1/4 turn and its on.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kmracer

Yeah, i know that . However, i would never trust my g/f to be strong enough to turn it a complete 3/4 turn after snug. So, i let her use the filter wrench. So, how about you worry about your own G/F and your own oil. This has been solved for many days. If worst came to worst i would have put it on my trailer and towed it to the dealer with the trusty 7.3.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i read this thread and it sure sounds like a lot of people don't know how to change their oil.

those wrenches work pretty damn well. you just have to know how to use it.

but, you really don't need one. i drive my car for 10k miles or more until i change the oil (synthetic can last that long) and all i do is hand-tighten my oil filter and it's never a problem, nor is it even easy to get off when i change the oil again. the worst thing that would happen is it would start to come loose, and i'm sure you would see oil dripping on the ground before your filter would fall off. even so, i don't think either are likely.
Come on! Really? WTF does me saying that strap wrenches have never worked for me have to do with knowing how to change oil.
Most times I don't even need a wrench to take off my oil filter. And if I do, I use my Two jaw craftsman that works perfectly fine.

Oh, and I forgot about the chain wrenches. Never used one of those.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Come on! Really? WTF does me saying that strap wrenches have never worked for me have to do with knowing how to change oil.
Most times I don't even need a wrench to take off my oil filter. And if I do, I use my Two jaw craftsman that works perfectly fine.

Oh, and I forgot about the chain wrenches. Never used one of those.
what? it was a separate paragraph, as in a separate thought. a lot of people on here posting things that don't make a lot of sense when it comes to changing their oil. that's what it means. really has nothing to do with the wrench. i was just saying [separately] that they work well.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
what? it was a separate paragraph, as in a separate thought. a lot of people on here posting things that don't make a lot of sense when it comes to changing their oil. that's what it means. really has nothing to do with the wrench. i was just saying [separately] that they work well.
Oh, sorry, my bad. Didn't get that.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! The pics in the first post are some serious carnage!

I'm glad to hear you got the problem solved. Nothing worse than something as simple as an oil change (something you done a hundred times without so much as a hiccup) turn into a freakin' epic battle.

The Following is for All Members...

I'm going to have to agree with the members giving the following advice:

Be sure to coat the rubber O-ring of the new filter with a film of new oil. This thread is the first place I've heard of coating the threads of the filter as well, but it makes sense that it acts as an anti-seize. It sure as Hell can't hurt.

I like to fill the new filter with oil before installing it, as well, but I don't think its actually necessary. The placement of the filter on the LSx motors allows for it, so I do it.

And finally, I always install my filter hand tight and then tighten it just a touch with the filter wrench. Not even quarter of a turn. Never had any trouble with a filter coming off prematurely, or difficulty getting one off when its time for the next oil change.

Just my .02. Take from it what you will.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Wow that sucks man but that is why I seriously buy K&N filters. Put a damn impact on that SOB.
Quoted for truth. The nut on the end of those things is awesome.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

for any 1 else who ever runs into this problem

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
just take that hex fitting out. thats the best way to do it at this point. no idea on the tq for that piece but i would just take it out and get the filter off, then put it back in..
^^^ yes do that ^^^

dont chisel cut or anything. you loosen the tube or remove it with a hex driver and the filter should come off by hand for any 1 else who runs into this problem
Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanks to all who posted here. Never had this problem before. I thought about the screwdriver method. But thought It would end up like jocbra99s, and then I would be totally screwed. We tried the socket wrench, the band wrench and oil filter pliers. Just ended up crushing it. It started leaking and we though we were going to have to have it towed. After reading this thread I wasn't worried about sheading the filter anymore. In the end I drilled 2 holes in the socket wrench and drilled 2 corresponding holes in the filter, put in 2 sheet metal screws. Then it came right off.
[/img]

Thanks to all who posted
Old 03-05-2018, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jcobra99
So, i was finishing up my M6 swap and decided to change my oil since i could drain it into the 5gal bucket i use for my lifted diesel oil. I figured i might as well do it while my car is up nice and high. Well, i pretty much destroyed my ac delco filter. I think i might have let the G/F tighten down the oil filter last time . This is what i have tried so far.

My oil filter socket literally rotated the grooves on the side of the filter.

Tried my channel locks with no luck.

Dremeled out a 1/2 hole in the bottom and tried to use a 1/2 extension on a ratchet. This just rounded out the 1/2 hole.

My oil filter pliers type tool took just caved in the wall of the filter.

I tried the screw driver trick with no luck. The wall of these damn filters are about as thick as a piece of construction paper

So, the screw-driver ended up taking out basically the entire wall of the filter. My strap oil filter wrench is out of the question.

Is there any reason NOT to remove that hex fitting that the filter threads onto?????? If not does anyone know the TQ spec on it?

So, now i'm stuck which basically a crushed soda can on the bottom of my block. I'm running out of ideas and i'm about to roll my SS of a cliff. Not literally ,but this is a PITA. The last thing i'm going to try is a screwdriver and hammer in the little oil holes.
Does anyone have any other ideas?
Just remove the filter bung, and replace it with a new one (available from GM) if you can't it off the filter. Just make sure you put some locktite on it.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Quick Reply: DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!