General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SUPER WEIRD car won't start... 2002 Incon T/A

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SUPER WEIRD car won't start... 2002 Incon T/A

Need some help fellas, got a really weird no-start situation going on here. I did some searching and found a few problems closely related to what I'm experiencing with my car and tried most of that stuff with no luck. I checked and re-checked every single ground in the car, changed every fuse, switched relays around like a shell game, and the car still won't start. Engine's an LS1 stroked out to 383 w/ Incon twin turbo kit and a brand new Racetronix fuel pump and harness. I got it to start consistently after I completed the install but had to drop the engine to fix a few things. After that I couldn't get the car to start. At first it would only start if I sprayed a little bit of starter fluid in the intake, but after that I couldn't get the car to start up on its own. But now it won't even start up with the starter fluid. I stopped using it to see if I can get it to build up pressure but it won't. Checked and re-checked every line, no leaks or nothing anywhere. It sounds like it's gonna fire up every once in a while but no bueno. The gauges have been acting all weird too. Every time I try to start the car up the needle on the fuel gauge goes straight to empty (I have about 3/4 tank of fresh gas, it's not empty trust me). When I take the key out of the ignition the MPH and Tach needles start flipping out all crazy too. ABS Inop and SES lights are on, but whenever I try to pull the codes my scanner says there aren't any. It had a P0103 (MAF output high) code on when it was running but after I deleted it that's when the car wouldn't start up. Oil pressure gauge is still pegged at 80. Disconnected it from the sensor and turned the key on, still pegged at 80. Harness looks fine and the wire's not pinched anywhere... I'd say the gauge itself was bad if it wasn't for all the other stupid electrical problems I'm having with the car. Tomorrow I'm gonna take out the ol' voltmeter and get me an electronics nerd to shoot wires for me, I'm dumb when it comes to electrical stuff Any suggestions in the meantime about where / what I should be looking for as far as problem areas?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like bad battery cables or one or more bad grounds. You are shure the grounds on the back of each head are tight and none of the wires broken off of the tremnals ?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm gonna check em out again and make sure... will post up results later.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Don't overlook the loom ground that bolts behind the power steering pump like I did - mine would not start without this gound, attached it and it starts before I can get my hand of the key.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 40Mike
Don't overlook the loom ground that bolts behind the power steering pump like I did - mine would not start without this gound, attached it and it starts before I can get my hand of the key.
Is it the one that's a long copper wire? I couldn't figure out where I got that one from
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ground was connected correctly, still no start. Turns out I don't have fuel pressure at the rails.... different can of worms Gonna post up in the fuel section and see what's up. Thanks a lot for the input fellas
Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Teching In

hey man i had this same exact problem on my T/A... just randomly wouldnt start one day. At first I thought it was the starter so I switched that out but still got nothing. gauges just went dead every time I turned the key. Turned out it was the ignition system. Cost me like $400 to get it replaced.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you talking about the ignition switch itself? Would the car still have spark and fuel with a bad ignition switch?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

well definitely something's up with the fuel system. As for the gauges jumping all over I would suggest maybe drainage from trying to start it so much. Get it load tested, it probably just needs a charge.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Hey man not to sound like I'm insulting your intelligence, but have you checked simple stuff, like a clogged fuel filter, or that your fuel pump is operating normally?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I disconnected the fuel line in 4 different places and checked the flow, it's definitely getting fuel. And the battery has a full charge on it. The only thing I haven't looked over so far is the battery harness itself. Gonna try that out next.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, if you're getting fuel, have you made sure you're getting spark? coil pack connections good, plug wires good, etc?

also is your throttle body clean? anything impeding the intake system?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I checked a coil on each side and they were good, haven't checked all of em though. Didn't get a chance to fool with the car today, gonna do a compression, spark, and fuel pressure check on it tomorrow and see what's really going on with it.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My guess would be, it's related to removing and reinstalling the motor.Maybe pinched a wire or a vacuum hose or gas line hose- someting like that, since it was running before and not after.Just seems too big a leap to think that all of a sudden a part went bad.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lovin myls1
My guess would be, it's related to removing and reinstalling the motor. Maybe pinched a wire or a vacuum hose or gas line hose- something like that, since it was running before and not after. Just seems too big a leap to think that all of a sudden a part went bad.
You were close man, wasn't getting any fuel pressure at the rails. I switched to a front mount regulator and removed the one from the tank but I hadn't ran the new return line at the time. It was just bleeding fuel right back into the return where the old regulator was I turned the stock regulator into a plug and reinstalled it, fires up like a champ now Thanks everyone for the help though, I probably have the cleanest ground wires on the planet right now

Quick Reply: SUPER WEIRD car won't start... 2002 Incon T/A