General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC and cruise control quit working???? any ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC and cruise control quit working???? any ideas...

after doing some research on here, i dont know if they are related, but both quit working at the same time? no cruise control at all??? AC, well here is the story....have not checked to see if it has freon yet, the clutch is not engaging at all. jumped the sensor plug and the clutch is still not engaging??? the fuse is good, looked under the dash and all looks good wiring wise??? so if the cruise switches go bad, does that affect ac as well???

this is something funny as well.....turn the ac on, and it wont engage at all, but driving it, it will blow colder air, not COLD but colder, but gets warm again if you stop??? also read something about if the idle is crazy the ac wont work??? well my idle is not crazy but i do run an ms4 cam???

no ses light at all??? im way confused on this deal!!!! please help, thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

I'm having the same problem. I know there is a relay or fuse in the engine bay fuse panel that encompasses both. I am thinking this may be the problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

yeah, i have changed the relay around for the ac, no worky, and i checked the fuse in the same box that runs them both....its good!!! im really at a loss with this one...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if it's related to the cruise control, but there are a couple AC clutch circuit codes (P0645, P1546) - neither of which will illuminate the SES light. I'd try scanning for codes.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you POSITIVE it's not a fuse? That would be a strange coincidence both aren't working when they share fuses...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

well, pretty sure....i pulled the fuse out and looked at it and it was not burnt in two pieces???? i guess i should change it just to be 100% sure huh.....will do that today!!!!

still havent figured out the compressor issue though....jumping the plug will start the fan but not the compressor? going to check the bottom plug on the compressor itself today!!!!

any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

If you jump the plug and compressor doesn't kick in, likely the clutch is bad. If you want to know for certain, jump the compressor straight to the battery.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cruise won't work if the switch is out of adjustment at the top of the clutch pedal, but I don't think your AC should have anything to do with that.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by 99monguse
The cruise won't work if the switch is out of adjustment at the top of the clutch pedal, but I don't think your AC should have anything to do with that.
hey there .. can you please add pics to clarify .... i test the switch wires in which they all show power availble (exept in OFF mode) what to adjust ? sorry 4 the hijack !!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by m2g4b
after doing some research on here, i dont know if they are related, but both quit working at the same time? no cruise control at all??? AC, well here is the story....have not checked to see if it has freon yet, the clutch is not engaging at all. jumped the sensor plug and the clutch is still not engaging??? the fuse is good, looked under the dash and all looks good wiring wise??? so if the cruise switches go bad, does that affect ac as well???

this is something funny as well.....turn the ac on, and it wont engage at all, but driving it, it will blow colder air, not COLD but colder, but gets warm again if you stop??? also read something about if the idle is crazy the ac wont work??? well my idle is not crazy but i do run an ms4 cam???

no ses light at all??? im way confused on this deal!!!! please help, thanks in advance
This is a decade old thread but I’ve seen this same issue on other boards and it’s likely to be surfacing for some again.

I had this exact issue happen the other day. I checked all the CBs, as that seem most likely. Last night, I looked over the schematics and nothing really jumped out, other than vacuum lines for so much of this equipment.

Sure enough, right on the top front of the engine, above the belts was a. Disconnected vacuum line. I plugged it in and within three seconds of starting the engine, there was nice, cold A/C. Cruise works again, too. A confession... I’m not a mechanic, just a female airline pilot 👩🏻‍✈️ 🙌
Old 02-25-2021, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Default Savior

Sure enough, right on the top front of the engine, above the belts was a. Disconnected vacuum line. I plugged it in and within three seconds of starting the engine, there was nice, cold A/C. Cruise works again, too. A confession... I’m not a mechanic, just a female airline pilot 👩🏻‍✈️ 🙌[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for months to findton answer to this could you post a pic of which vacuum line it was ?
Old 02-25-2021, 03:12 PM

This is on a 1996 Oldsmobile, but being GM, it’s all pretty much the same. Find the vacuum reserve canister and trace the vacuum line out the top. On my Olds, the canister is behind the right headlight. The parallel line is running out to vacuum powered equipment.

Quick Reply: AC and cruise control quit working???? any ideas...