General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Performance with 'knock sensor low input'

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Performance with 'knock sensor low input'

So my car has been driving funny lately. Almost like fouled plugs or bad wires, when you hammer the gas in too high of a gear, like 4th or 5th below 2000rpms it would sputter a little bit then go. It wasn't extreme, though.. I found a plug wire that doesn't lock onto the plug that great, so I pushed it back on, but I've had to do this twice now. I have MSD wires coming in today to replace my stock 98k wires and new TR55's that are replacing like 3k mile spark plugs, might as well since I'm doing wires.

Well recently, my car threw a SES light up, I thought it was just a minor misfire with that shitty wire, so I ignored it, but I had my code scanned and it was P0327, knock sensor low input. I'm used to crappy wires throwing a code for a misfire, not a knock sensor. Would any of the recent problems led to throwing a knock sensor code, or is it just time to replace the knock sensor?

If I have to replace the knock sensor, I'm gonna replace both while I'm under the intake, and also convert to the LS6 valley cover... I just want to see if it can be fixed without doing all that.. Is it possible to replace the wiring harness without taking the intake manifold off? Thanks for help.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

anyone?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my knock sensors and harness not too long ago but to answer your question, you have to take the intake out to access the pigtails of the knock sensors harness which are embedded inside the knock sensor cover and the valley cover.

BTW, while you're in the process of doing this make sure you get a good seal from the possible water leak through when you wash your engine. You can use sensor safe copper sealant or duct tape.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I verify and confirm everything said above. that information is correct and true. this can be taken as fact, unlike other info I have read on here.... lol copper silicone is the best stuff out there.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool, thanks for the info! but I was mainly asking about what the performance should be like? I just replaced spark plugs and wires today, and it has had a sputter at low rpm in a high gear for example, since before the plug/wires change. Would that be because of the timing the bad sensor is pulling?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Just an update. I washed my engine bay about a month ago, and I'm positive this is what did it. When I took that rubber plug off the front knock sensor, it had water all in it. Weird how it got in there. I didn't have any sealant at the time to seal around the new plug, but it made a pretty good seal. I replaced both knock sensors and the wiring harness. I also did the 04+ LS6 valley cover while I was in there. The car runs soooo much better, smoother, sounds better (thanks to correct timing now), and doesnt sputter anymore.

Here's my old front and rear knock sensors.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That front sensor had water on it for more than a month.

Glad you found the problem.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Wow I have to do this on my 99 TA, I know that this is the problem. I really wish you would have made a step by step tutorial. Where is a good place to get the ls6 pcv.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Woah look how rusted out that damn thing looks!! I really need to tear into mine soon and fix that knock sensor. Do you have any pics from your install? Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 AM

I will be performing this same task in the next week or two. Looks like I am not the only one who detailed an engine bay and now has to spend money to fix something.

Everytime I try and save a few bucks it ends up costing me.

1) The one time I did not hand wash the bugs off the car and instead took it to the car wash I ended up getting to close to bumper and took a little clear coat off....that will cost $1000 to fix.

2) Bought a $5 bottle of cleaner for engine bay and now knock sensor bad..that will cost about $800 to fix (cost of sensors and while I am there an LS6 intake and then you have to tune it too...lol)

3) Pride of owning a sweet ride....priceless
Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I followed this site a little bit for the install. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18 But it's actually quite easy. I didn't take a whole lot of pics except ones which the intake off and one showing how much I had to cut part of the block for the LS6 valley cover to fit. I got the LS6 valley cover from GMPartsDirect, along with the PCV tube for it.

old cover

Quick Reply: Performance with 'knock sensor low input'