General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF My stupid PITA belt keeps falling off in the rain!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF My stupid PITA belt keeps falling off in the rain!!!

Ok, its on my 3.8L 1998 Camaro and I've replaced the belt tensioner assymbly about 4 years ago, the belt is about a year ago, the waterpump about 6 months ago. Ever since the waterpump was replaced the belt has been falling off in the rain. NEVER EVER before in its life has it fallen off in the rain hitting a water puddle etc. It has fallen off twice now. I've had a bad tensioner before and I know what my old tensioner looked like and this one doesnt APPEAR to be bad. The old one was starting to slant so it was OBVIOUSLY bad....My question is this, do camaro's have some type of belt alignment procedure that should be done after messing with pulleys? Secondly, is it at all POSSIBLE the problem could be from the pulley after having the waterpump replaced (not with a GM pump, it was from ADVANCE AUTO) Tell me what you guys think??? BECAUSE I THINK I WANT TO DRIVE MY CAR OFF A CLIFF AND DANCE JOYFULLY!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it started happening after the water pump installation, that's where I would start. There are so many pulleys, you can easily check alignment by eye.

But I'm guessing your tensioner might be weak. When the belt is dry, it has enough grip to hold it on the water pump pulley, but when it gets slippery... whooop! - it's gone.