General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump.. ok so i was wiggling the pcm wire harness everywhere while my dad tried to read the tech 2 and he said all the gauges started going crazy when i was doing that.. dont know if that changes anything or not..
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

looks like LS6427 nailed it. Good luck tracing it down and getting her running again.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by breNt*
bump.. ok so i was wiggling the pcm wire harness everywhere while my dad tried to read the tech 2 and he said all the gauges started going crazy when i was doing that.. dont know if that changes anything or not..
Ok, thats actually a good thing. You have somewhere to start now. I suggest you call your local dealership and ask who they use for PCM issues. They might not tell you though....... If we have those guys here I would imagine you have them there. Usually self-employed guys that drive around to body shops, dealers and auto repair shops....they fix all the wierd **** like you have going on and like I had, the kind of things that most guys can't figure out. The guy that came to my place, thats all he did, worked for himself.

But it sounds like a loose PCM-Engine ground. But it could be any of those wires in that harness that might be fried or frayed and rubbing other wires. If you're not getting codes, the PCM is probably fried...maybe.

Call body shops too....if the dealer doesn't give you a number. They should give you numbers of some of those guys. This guy told me that 85% of his business is body shops. I was like, "why?" He said to reset airbag codes on all makes and models and to rewire sometimes when a car gets crunched up. He said if I towed my car to the dealership for the loose ground that I had, they would have called him or one of the other few guys in Lauderdale that fix that type of stuff. He charged me $100 to rewire it all, took about 1 hour. He said the dealer would have ***-raped me for hundreds. DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Teching In

called.. they told me they just use this place called specmo.. they do car audio and such.. but he did tell me they don't fix pcms.. they just sell used ones or bad ones to specmo and specmo actually fixes them and resells them, the dealerships just get new ones.. i called a chevrolet dealership.. i called specmo they can fix it.. but they want 60$ an hour so eh.. im just going to wait until i get my original pcm back then if that doesn't fix it, or if i still can't get a code.. then i pretty much know its wiring and il have to have someone fix it.

thanks for the help!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

called.. they told me they just use this place called specmo.. they do car audio and such.. but he did tell me they don't fix pcms.. they just sell used ones or bad ones to specmo and specmo actually fixes them and resells them, the dealerships just get new ones.. i called a chevrolet dealership.. i called specmo they can fix it.. but they want 60$ an hour so eh.. im just going to wait until i get my original pcm back then if that doesn't fix it, or if i still can't get a code.. then i pretty much know its wiring and il have to have someone fix it.

thanks for the help!

Call body shops and ask who they use when they need to reset SES lights for air bag deployments.

ALSO......if you have bad wiring like a loose PCM-Engine ground wire.....and you just put a new PCM in it, you MIGHT instantly fry that new PCM too. You must fix the problem that started this mess.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Teching In

i just got my new pcm and my car fired right up.. but hey the problem with that is iv had this pcm for over a year in it without problems.. i get a new 02 pcm and 1 week later i have all these problems...
Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

i just got my new pcm and my car fired right up.. but hey the problem with that is iv had this pcm for over a year in it without problems.. i get a new 02 pcm and 1 week later i have all these problems...
Your PCM has to match your year car.

But cool, you found the problem, a bad PCM. Just make sure all the wires and plugs are in good condition.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

I am having the same effing problem.... exactly haw you explaned it runs fine then will fall on its face all the sudden. when i let off the gas it will rev a little but when i give it gas it dies. every time i start the car it resets all my gauges and that my tuner used HPtuners and it said that i have a ground to power or something along those lines to the BCM i will check grounds tomorrow . when i swapped the motor i think i forgot the block to chisses ground. thanks for the info guys! just one more reason i love ls1tech