General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ran through a puddle, car running like crap bad misfires!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran through a puddle, car running like crap bad misfires!

this is the second time this has happened to me since I've had LT headers. The puddle I ran through was probably less than an inch deep and I only hit it going like 25, I could'nt go around it because it took up my whole lane and cars were coming in the opposite lane. Last time I tried to fix it I'm pretty sure I tried everything possible and the only thing that fixed it was time.... A long time This has only happened after having LTs so it has to be the o2 extensions getting wet right? I dont have the nice plug and play o2 extensions I have the shitty *** cheapo "do it yourself" o2 extensions that didn't come with any kind of cover so I just wrapped the wires in electrical tape (basically they just send you extra o2 wire and you have to cut your wires and attach these to them to give you the extra length). Right now the car will start up and act normal for about a minute then I get the shaking and flashing SES light, rough idle and backfires occasionally. It is drivable but It has absolutely no power and it almost wants to stall out if i'm not rolling. What sort of things can get wet from running through a puddle that will cause these kinds of problems?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like the extensions that asre getting soaked. Because LT's have nothing to do with causing misfires. I go through 6 inch deep puddles by accident sometimes and nothing at all happens.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Launching!

So should I just buy the plug and play extensions and put them in? Is that what u have?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xricer
So should I just buy the plug and play extensions and put them in? Is that what u have?
I just have factory 02 sensors and wires....on my 1 7/8" Grots,,, they reach just fine.

Somehow seal the extension where they plug together or if there's another kind like you mentioned you may have to get them.

They make shrink wrap in all sizes, slide them over the plugs and whereever else they could get wet....and melt them on there. That'll keep all the moisture out.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

I personally have Denso sensors. I just plug them into my factory wire ends and thats it. I get them soaked all the time down here in the monsoons we have.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

I'd get the corvette rear o2's Bosch part number is 13111. This happened to me and so I bought those and it hasn't happened since. It's only been like a month since I installed them but we've had some rain and they've held up so far.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Launching!

I'm having this same problem.. I extended my o2s myself but just recently ordered denso o2s.. Haven't got em on yet, waitin on my extensions to get in the mail.. Could it be just the wires are gettin wet just like xricer's
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Launching!

I haven't checked what codes I have but when I looked under the Hood everything was dry, the puddle I hit wasn't very big so it must be my o2s that are getting wet. What website has the vette o2s and extensions? Thanks for ur input everybody
Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sxracerb25
I'd get the corvette rear o2's Bosch part number is 13111. This happened to me and so I bought those and it hasn't happened since. It's only been like a month since I installed them but we've had some rain and they've held up so far.
I just have the front o2s I took out my rears cause I have an ory and they are tuned out anyway, would vette rear o2s work for the front?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Launching!

just went ahead and ordered the corvette rear o2s from ws6store
Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Launching!

I got my extensions of of eBay.. I didn't know a sponsor sold em on here =(
Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sxracerb25
How much were they a piece? I thought what I was ordering was a pair of o2 sensors but I got my package already and only one came After shipping I paid like 75 bucks for 1 SENSOR is that about normal? I bought the vette sensor
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xricer
How much were they a piece? I thought what I was ordering was a pair of o2 sensors but I got my package already and only one came After shipping I paid like 75 bucks for 1 SENSOR is that about normal? I bought the vette sensor
Thats a rip-off.

www.rockauto.com Part #2344087 $39.00 each.

These are the Densos, they are the new GM 02 sensor and they came in the Vettes for years I'm pretty sure. EITHER WAY....there is no better sensor made, its MUCH better than the original GM factory sensors. If you order them at the dealership, you get Densos in the AC Delco box.

You can also go to Amazon for them: $40.00
http://www.amazon.com/234-4087-Denso...5015890&sr=8-3

Return those and get a refund, then get them at one of these places. You can sit with them submerged under water and they operate perfectly, I've done it many times. Water can't do anything to them. Just make sure the plug to the harness still has the rubber gasket in it and its in good shape. Water might get in that way.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey.... where is your intake?

I ran threw a puddle and blew my engine up My cold air intake is pretty close to the bottom of the car. It sucked up water, and i didn't know. Car ran like crap over 2k rpm. I stomped on it later in the day, and threw a rod. Insurance paid for it luckily.

Make sure to check your oil. Make sure it doesnt look like butterscotch pudding, showing that water got in...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I been order o2 sensor from http://www.oxygensensors.com for year, no problem with their quality and free s/h
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while your at it i would check under your hood, with the car running, in total darkness. i had an issue like this once and it ended up being a coil that got wet. i noticed the mini lightning show around the coils when i had the hood up. all it took was a good wiping and a spray of MAF sensor cleaner spray. all was good after that.

Quick Reply: ran through a puddle, car running like crap bad misfires!