General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-25-2016, 04:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Disassembly/Removal (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Protius
Are "tilt pens" (i'm guessing tilt Pins?) something that I can replace using the info/photos already listed in this thread? I'll be pissed if this was something they could have just replaced while they were holding me by the hips without buying me dinner first...
Check this out for more details: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some good info in there
Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Launching!

So what component causes the column to pull down and left? Mine does this and I have no idea why. Had my column pulled apart once to install a new key cylinder and attempted to observe what was wrong... couldn't tell. I was hesitant to go any further. Any idea what the culprit is?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
So what component causes the column to pull down and left? Mine does this and I have no idea why. Had my column pulled apart once to install a new key cylinder and attempted to observe what was wrong... couldn't tell. I was hesitant to go any further. Any idea what the culprit is?
You got me man. If you figure it out, let me know. I've had the column fully apart twice now and couldn't find anything visibly wrong/loose/etc.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
You got me man. If you figure it out, let me know. I've had the column fully apart twice now and couldn't find anything visibly wrong/loose/etc.
Its a really irritating problem because it's fairly common but nobody really knows the cause. Sounds far easier to buy a new one..
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
Its a really irritating problem because it's fairly common but nobody really knows the cause. Sounds far easier to buy a new one..
While in the column I could only see two things that could be considered "wear items", I don't know the proper names so bear with me......

-White plastic ball coupler that connects the main shaft to the stub shaft
-Race bearings

But I'm not sure either one would cause the issue we are having. The white plastic ball coupler merely connects the two shafts together and is basically 'independent' of the frame/etc. The race bearings allow the stub shaft to turn without any slop. If they were worn I assume the wheel would feel loose when going around a 90 degree turn.

This then begins to point at the tilt mechanism itself. The upper housing connects to the lower housing with two pivot pins. My lower housing bolts (the E8 or standard bolts, whatever yours has) were tight, and the pivot pins "felt tight" in the lower housing. Then......

Protius posted before after taking his car to the dealership. "The receipt said: Tightened Tilt Bolts but Tilt Pins Are Worn Out. Needs Steering Column. Customer Declined."

This could mean that the lower housing is worn since it is aluminum. I don't know what is stronger- the housing material or the pivot pin material..... meaning would one wear faster than the other?!?!? Could this be the root cause?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same issue. My steering column is loose and wabbling around after I just put in a new racing style steering wheel and hub.

Wondering how to tighten it up.

Custom Steering Wheel 2000 Camaro SS
Old 04-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Other threads are pointing to the fact that it's just the bolts and no new parts are needed. I will get back to report on this.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ain't gonna lie, this looks pretty intimidating and I'm highly mechanically inclined. I plan on swapping out my upper steering shaft to install a Vette wheel eventually when I get all the parts together.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have rebuilt a couple of columns and its a big pain in the ***! Its not a job for a newbie.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
While in the column I could only see two things that could be considered "wear items", I don't know the proper names so bear with me......

-White plastic ball coupler that connects the main shaft to the stub shaft
-Race bearings

But I'm not sure either one would cause the issue we are having. The white plastic ball coupler merely connects the two shafts together and is basically 'independent' of the frame/etc. The race bearings allow the stub shaft to turn without any slop. If they were worn I assume the wheel would feel loose when going around a 90 degree turn.

This then begins to point at the tilt mechanism itself. The upper housing connects to the lower housing with two pivot pins. My lower housing bolts (the E8 or standard bolts, whatever yours has) were tight, and the pivot pins "felt tight" in the lower housing. Then......

Protius posted before after taking his car to the dealership. "The receipt said: Tightened Tilt Bolts but Tilt Pins Are Worn Out. Needs Steering Column. Customer Declined."

This could mean that the lower housing is worn since it is aluminum. I don't know what is stronger- the housing material or the pivot pin material..... meaning would one wear faster than the other?!?!? Could this be the root cause?
Same issue here. I've had mine apart three times now. Replaced the Hexagon Washer Tap Head Screws with Loctite and replaced the Steering Pivot Pins with thicker ones from UE. Still have play in down left and what feels like up right as well. Felling
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Default GM # 7805700 bearing fit?

GM # 7805700 bearing for Ls1 steering column bearing. Will this part fit on Ls1 steering column?
look >>
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by wrencher
There is a loop at the end of the rack to move the rod.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Default tilt spring tricks

any tricks for getting the tilt spring back in place? specific tools, in car or not, etc?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine goes down and to the left. The steering column also. We need a definitive fix.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Followed through this today and it worked like a charm. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Steering Column Disassembly/Removal (with pics)