General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window sticks

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default window sticks

my window in my car sometimes stops working, it dosent do it all the time but when i start rollin it up it will stop 3/4 the way up and if i leave it alone for a little while it will work again. how do i fix this?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hodge9386
my window in my car sometimes stops working, it dosent do it all the time but when i start rollin it up it will stop 3/4 the way up and if i leave it alone for a little while it will work again. how do i fix this?
x2! im thinkin window motors takin a **** tho :\
Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, replace the motor.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine just started doing this the passenger side does it
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, the window motors go out on these cars all the time. i think my passenger side will need to be replaced within the next year. not hard to do though
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as a matter of fact... my driver window got stuck down tonight..GREAT and its gonna rain too..banged on the door panel and up it went.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not trying to thread hijack..are you guys just doing the motors? or the whole regulator? are just the motors hard to do or just a matter of unbolting it and swapping the motor out?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
not trying to thread hijack..are you guys just doing the motors? or the whole regulator? are just the motors hard to do or just a matter of unbolting it and swapping the motor out?
Just do the motor. I bought mine locally for about 40.00 (i think), with a lifetime warranty. There is a how-to: http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Basicaly what you do is remove the door panels, drill a couple holes in specific spots(nothing crazy) drill out the rivets, to remove the old motor, bolt in the new motor. Its really pretty simple. Had to do it in my wife's 00 WS.6. Worked GREAT!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by hodge9386
Classic thermal failure of the motor. You'll want to replace it ASAP before the problem gets worse and it stops working entirely.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Just do the motor. I bought mine locally for about 40.00 (i think), with a lifetime warranty. There is a how-to: http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Basicaly what you do is remove the door panels, drill a couple holes in specific spots(nothing crazy) drill out the rivets, to remove the old motor, bolt in the new motor. Its really pretty simple. Had to do it in my wife's 00 WS.6. Worked GREAT!
thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

NVR SPDS said it right. Only replace the motor, do it yourself, use the link he posted. The part number for the motor is in the link as well. I'm slow and it took me 3 hours, but I'm really slow. When you reach in to unplug the old motor, just pinch and pull. That one took me a bit to figure out because I was trying to lift the clamp open...wrong way. If I can do it (and not break anything from frustration), just about anybody can. You'll need simple tools and a drill. I just used the 2x4 to hold the window up, worked great.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

thaks guess i need to go buy a window motor now, but im not to worried about it now cause my tranny just went out a couple days ago so i need to worry about that now.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

i fixed this for free.... I had both window motors going out really bad . The drivers side was worse than the passenger side..... it got to the point where I would go days with the windows stuck down...very irritating. I did the thermo mod on my passengers side window...just remove the motor...then remove the plastic electric housing from the motor.... cut out the yellow resistor and solder a jumper wire in place of the resistor (i used a paper clip) ....then re-install plastic housing....plug motor back in and test it before installing back in the door.....this totally fixed mine like new....(for now). the passenger side is diffrent ...there is no thermal resistor (at least on my car) but it does have brass or copper brushes inside that were very dirty....i cleaned them up and it fixed the motor like new...just be patient those brushes can be a pain to get back in....best of luck to you!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by perezpowerbuilders
i fixed this for free.... I had both window motors going out really bad . The drivers side was worse than the passenger side..... it got to the point where I would go days with the windows stuck down...very irritating. I did the thermo mod on my passengers side window...just remove the motor...then remove the plastic electric housing from the motor.... cut out the yellow resistor and solder a jumper wire in place of the resistor (i used a paper clip) ....then re-install plastic housing....plug motor back in and test it before installing back in the door.....this totally fixed mine like new....(for now). the passenger side is diffrent ...there is no thermal resistor (at least on my car) but it does have brass or copper brushes inside that were very dirty....i cleaned them up and it fixed the motor like new...just be patient those brushes can be a pain to get back in....best of luck to you!!!!
Pay now or really pay later... Removing the thermal cutoff will stress the door panel more and lead you to this more quickly: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

lwhat????? The thermal cutoff has nothing to do with that problem...mine has been fixed for over a year with zero problems.....seems to me that someone really screwed up the removal of the rivets on the window motor....which resulted in having that problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by perezpowerbuilders
lwhat????? The thermal cutoff has nothing to do with that problem...mine has been fixed for over a year with zero problems.....seems to me that someone really screwed up the removal of the rivets on the window motor....which resulted in having that problem.
Removing the thermal cutoff doesn't "fix" anything. It just disables a safety feature. Incorrect rivets put additional stress on the door. Using the express-down feature without a thermal cutoff switch, will do the same thing. If you disable the thermal cutoff, you should probably also bypass the express-down box, as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

I get what your saying but the express roll down has not had any negative affect on anything at all .....like I said before its been over a year thats alot of ups and downs on that motor and its working great!!! Anyway thanks for the heads up on that I will look into it asap if I suspect any problems.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

rockauto.com got my window motor for $27..(so i bought 2, my pass side is on its way out) was shipped to my front door in 1.5 days...popped the motor in and works like a charm