Charging system

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charging system

I have a charging system problem I could use some Ideas on:

Regarding the alternator
The guage is running at almost 13v and will take a dip into the Caution area when I stop at a light or the car is in idle. The needle dips but stays down until I start moving again and then there is a momentary pause and the needle will return to 13. I have also seen that the needle will be at 13v and when I shift it out of gear it will drop to the cuation zone. Also I had to install a new battery in the T/A approx 6 months ago.

I did notice that when my initial battery died, I jumped the car and got it started to drive home and while driving it home, it appeared that the alternator, instead of putting out a constant voltage, it would drop out momentarily and everything would start to dim and then it would come back up to normal. It was fairly consistent in the 2 mile trek home. I wasn't sure if this indicated that the alt. was dying slowly. I also wasn't sure if the codes or other issues could be caused by the alternator acting this way.
This is a 98 TransAm in factory stock condition. The serpentine belt is new but does this car's alt. run off of a seperate belt?

Any advice
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chances are that the alt is on its way south.