General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Where can i buy an aftermarket Vehicle speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where can i buy an aftermarket Vehicle speed sensor?

I bought a replacement vehicle speed sensor from autozone last summer because my speedometer and rpm guages were acting up, causing my tansmission to shift incorrectly or not shift at all. My car only seemed to do it once in a while, so when i replaced the vss the cars speedo and rpm gauge started messing up worse than before for about 30 mins and then the problem went away for a whole year until recently. Its doing it again and it annoys the hell out of me, i use my car for work and school so i cant be letting it give me these problems.

Someone told me that the replacement vss's from autozone are crap and they go out pretty quick and they recommended i buy an aftermarket vss instead. The problem is i cant find any aftermarket vss's, does someone know somewhere where i could order one from that will last me longer than a autozone sensor?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAPA... seriously, I would never put on anything else, or the dealer. I work with parts all day long and the differance is night and day different. Autozone is such crap, it should be illegal. dont get me started on advanced auto parts... they are just as bad. NAPA is the only thing with quality anymore. Even then, NAPA still sells "cheaper" versions on parts because people are cheap, then they wonder why it fails.. you get what you pay for. I could go on for hours *RANT*
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, is there a difference between a transmission speed sensor and vehicle speed sensor?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Ok, is there a difference between a transmission speed sensor and vehicle speed sensor?
There is no transmission speed sensor. The VSS is mounted on the tranny tailhousing, maybe that's where you're confusing it.

I only buy my sensors from GM. You pay more, but the quality is much higher. And yes, Autozone sensors are crap.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spartan7
There is no transmission speed sensor. The VSS is mounted on the tranny tailhousing, maybe that's where you're confusing it.

I only buy my sensors from GM. You pay more, but the quality is much higher. And yes, Autozone sensors are crap.
Ok, reason i ask is because i was on the napa website looking up the sensor and they had a vehicle speed sensor for $56 and then they had some called transmission speed sensors for like $25. Thats why im confused, i know where the VSS is located i have replaced it before but when i saw they had a transmission speed sensor i was confused because i had never heard of it.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If it's not GM brand then it's aftermarket. Napa, autozone, whatever---all aftermarket.
GM = OEM replacement.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

So pretty much they all suck unless their directly from the Gm dealership lol
Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro981289
So pretty much they all suck unless their directly from the Gm dealership lol
Yea, you're pretty much taking your chances with any parts store sensor, etc.
I collect various OEM sensors and stuff that I find at junkyards, I've had good luck with most of them. And like the old saying goes, they don't make them like they used to, pretty sad when we're talking 5 or so years ago.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You already put one aftermarket sensor in and it only lasted a year (although good for an aftermarket sensor IMO). Just get a GM one and you won't have to worry about it again. My car has 250K miles and still has the original VSS. Do you think an Autozone VSS would last that long?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
You already put one aftermarket sensor in and it only lasted a year (although good for an aftermarket sensor IMO). Just get a GM one and you won't have to worry about it again. My car has 250K miles and still has the original VSS. Do you think an Autozone VSS would last that long?
Dam and you have exactly 100,000 more miles than me, im at 148k right now. Ill have to find out how much their going to charge me for one...thanks for the help and sorry for the noob sounding question lol.

Quick Reply: Where can i buy an aftermarket Vehicle speed sensor?