General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window motor fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default window motor fuse?

ok so my passenger side window went out. so i bought a slightly used one on craigslist. i made sure it worked. now, ive come to find out that once i put the new one in and bolted it in there, it wont roll down. only up. i unplugged it and plugged it back into the old motor. same thing.

so now ive traced the problem down to some kind of wiring/electrical issue. im hoping its just a simple fuse to replace.

i can feel the motor trying to turn the regulator when i push the up button from the interior of the car, but nothing when i try to roll the window down. ive tried this from both the driver side and passenger side window control button.

anyone have any ideas??
Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I change these like underwear - 4 bad window motors so far in a car that is only 58K miles. GM designs them to fail and that way they will encourage you to buy a new car.

You didn't buy a used window motor right? I will only use new GM replacement parts for stuff like this anymore. ...not worth the hastles of wondering if your aftermarket part will work and how long it will last. Most of the cheesie aftermarket replacement parts today come from communist China and they suk.

I have had two new replacement washer wiper motors and control modules from China that were both defective right out of the box.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I change these like underwear - 4 bad window motors so far in a car that is only 58K miles. GM designs them to fail and that way they will encourage you to buy a new car.

You didn't buy a used window motor right? I will only use new GM replacement parts for stuff like this anymore. ...not worth the hastles of wondering if your aftermarket part will work and how long it will last. Most of the cheesie aftermarket replacement parts today come from communist China and they suk.

I have had two new replacement washer wiper motors and control modules from China that were both defective right out of the box.
yes this is a used motor. i bought it on craigslist. original factory motor from trans am with 30 thousand miles. checked it before i took everything off and it worked, but NEITHER motor goes down, they BOTH go up. im thinking a wiring issue
Old 09-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Purchasing a used motor is not the best option. They really are like underwear. The car will crap all over them periodically. If you get a new motor, you can get a lifetime warranty, as well.

That being said... "goes up but not down" could be a bad switch. This does happen. Or your motor may not be plugged in properly.

I'd suggest first testing the motor pigtail for voltage when you press up/down. If you have voltage both ways, you'll want to double check the plug and make sure its in correctly. If you take out the door speaker, this is a lot easier.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Purchasing a used motor is not the best option. They really are like underwear. The car will crap all over them periodically. If you get a new motor, you can get a lifetime warranty, as well.

That being said... "goes up but not down" could be a bad switch. This does happen. Or your motor may not be plugged in properly.

I'd suggest first testing the motor pigtail for voltage when you press up/down. If you have voltage both ways, you'll want to double check the plug and make sure its in correctly. If you take out the door speaker, this is a lot easier.
yeah the door speaker is already out because i just swapped them and bolted this one in.... so, how do i check voltage on the pigtail and the plug? im fairly certain it is not the switches/buttons because both of them dont make the window roll down when i press them.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss
both of them dont make the window roll down when i press them.
The passenger side switch is actually wired through the drivers side switch, so if the driver's side switch is broken, neither side will work.

If you don't have an electrical tester, you can take a 12V light bulb and hook it up to the pigtail that plugs in to the motor. If up and down light the bulb, then you'll know the problem is in the motor.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

The passenger side switch is actually wired through the drivers side switch, so if the driver's side switch is broken, neither side will work.

If you don't have an electrical tester, you can take a 12V light bulb and hook it up to the pigtail that plugs in to the motor. If up and down light the bulb, then you'll know the problem is in the motor.
ok how do i "hook it up"

and thank you very much i think im starting to narrow the problem down
Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Didn't you do "batteries and bulbs" in elementary school? If you haven't done a lot of electrical, you might want to get a friend to help.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

in the future call this guy for any parts need for your GM cars they charge 10% over cost plus shipping which is usually still cheaper then the parts house.

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295. Wholesale prices and no rip-off shipping.
Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Didn't you do "batteries and bulbs" in elementary school? If you haven't done a lot of electrical, you might want to get a friend to help.
of course i know how when theres connections for it. but theres no 12v socket on the pigtail. or am i mistaken? im not gonna cut wires and rig something up just to test the light bulb. i dont understand what you mean when you say "hook up" a lightbulb to it.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss
of course i know how when theres connections for it. but theres no 12v socket on the pigtail. or am i mistaken? im not gonna cut wires and rig something up just to test the light bulb. i dont understand what you mean when you say "hook up" a lightbulb to it.
Just take two solid wires, strip the ends, and stick them in the end of the pigtail. The connectors inside the pigtail will hold on to the wires.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Just take two solid wires, strip the ends, and stick them in the end of the pigtail. The connectors inside the pigtail will hold on to the wires.
alright thank you
Old 01-03-2020, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Did you end up finding what it was? Im having the same problem
Old 01-03-2020, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Delgado
Did you end up finding what it was? Im having the same problem
The switches reverse the polarity to the motors to change the motor rotation for the window to open or close. Because the window motor works in one direction and not the other, to me, would be an indication the problem is in the switches and not the motor. With the ignition in the run position, I would check for voltage between the light blue and tan wires at the passenger door switch when the passenger window switch in the driver door is activated in either position and you should also have power when checking between the dark blue and brown wires going to the passenger door window motor.

Last edited by peterpar; 01-03-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: window motor fuse?