General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hmmm i smell coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmm i smell coolant?

Ok, so I am flooring it 1-3rd gear and I get a quick wiff of coolant. My car is in the sig. Mishimoto radiator, no hose leaks, no head leaks, just did an oil change no 200 miles ago and no antifreeze in the oil (or well no where near enough to tell... not brown, creamy, etc... just black oil), car runs great, no hesitation or anything. Its just weird, under hard acceleration (which for now is few and far between, lots of HWY miles to work and back) i can smell a whiff of coolant sometimes. I have one of those cheap oreilly overflow tanks (nipple on the bottom with hose to it, open nipple on the top) and didn't know if maybe that was it or what, but just curious. It didn't look like any coolant is sloshing out , but i dunno, just odd. With the steam vent and all I didn't know if that'd cause anything either (under quick/hard acceleration it pushes air out or something). Temps stay in the 181-187 range (87 degrees out side, temp pulled from ecu from sensor on the drive side head). Just curious what your guy's thoughts are.

Also car I think has a low temp thermostat. With no a/c condensor in the front, it easily stays around 170-187 degrees, especially if its cool out.

After reading back through what I've said its kinda ... bleh lol, mainly what i am asking is if there's a vent or something on an LS1 that would cause this coolant smell under 1-3 gears kinda acceleration. thanks and sorry for the novel above

Last edited by RS777; 10-08-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leak in the heatercore perhaps?