General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird thing happened when I flushed my radiator/engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird thing happened when I flushed my radiator/engine

Okay, I pulled out my tstat and flushed the radiator/system by filling it up with water and letting it pretty much run until itwas all clear. I sealed it all back up, put in about 3/4 container of dexcool orange, and the rest water. Well I watched it raise and lower as the tstat opened and closed, then it seemed that the fluid started to bubble out. It was splashing up and out of the radiator. I have never seen that before. I made sure the air bubbles were all out, and I just let it run with the cap off. It never overheated, or anything, but I was under the impression dexcool wouldnt boil over, if that was what it was doing. The car seems to be running fine though, any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like air bubbles to me.
If the car didn't overheat - the coolant didn't boil.
(it is possible for it to overheat and the gauge still read normal if there's an air pocket where the temp sensor is)
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm how can I tell? It seems fine i'n traffic. Should I run it again with the cap off??
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I say it's air. I just went through this with my LT1 & LS1; the bubbling out is air trying to escape. You wanna keep doing what you're doing until this bubbling stops. You can speed things up by raising the front of the car on stands so that the radiator becomes the highest point in the system, promoting the evacuation of air.

I also shoved a funnel in the filler neck, to catch any coolant that was bubbling out. They actually sell a funnel kit just for bleeding cooling systems but it's like $22...
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

ok, well it actually not really bubbling but like splashing out, I figured it was turbulence from the water pump or something. Does this make sense? Do you still think its air? I can let it run again on sunday I guess.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM

the cooling system is a sealed pressurized setup,,it will bubble a bit with the cap off,,,,cap on and make sure your overflow is full it should pump the air into the bottle and recover fluid,,,keep an eye on the bottle,,when it drops a bit,,just add more