General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlights are always on

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights are always on

Guys my headlights are always on. It could be noon and the sun shining like crazy and the lights will be on. Any ideas? Its on a 02 Z28
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Take the Radio out and find the Photo Sensor for the lights..clip it and connect the wires.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/2743521-post6.html
Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a feeling he wants to fix the actual problem, not just go around it...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

It is a fix...take all the extra junk out to where you can control it on your own.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattslightning
Guys my headlights are always on. It could be noon and the sun shining like crazy and the lights will be on. Any ideas? Its on a 02 Z28
It sounds like you've got a bad photo (light) sensor (it's in the dash in the center defrost vent), or something wrong with the DRL module that is behind the stereo.

Personally, I disabled mine because I don't like the car telling me when the headlights will be on or not, and I'm so used to driving older cars without auto headlights anyways, but if you want to fix it, first I'd try to swap that light sensor out, and if that doesn't work, then I'd swap the DRL module out.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

DRL's just control the Marker Lights I thought..
Old 10-25-2010, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I'm going to try replacing the light sensor first.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Check to make sure that photo sensor is still plugged in...If I recall correctly, just unplugging it without a jumper in its place will have the lights on all the time.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Check to make sure that photo sensor is still plugged in...If I recall correctly, just unplugging it without a jumper in its place will have the lights on all the time.
x2

In my S10, we cut out the photo sensor, replaced it with the proper resistor, and bam, off the lights went. With the DRL disabled on my truck, I still had the "Always On" feature, which puts the headlights on regardless of sunlight whenever the ignition sees power. Unplugging the sensor and puttin in the resistor fixed it. I'm sure, with my truck being a 99, that F-Bodies are similar.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
DRL's just control the Marker Lights I thought..
DRL module sorta is the auto headlight module. When it's daytime, it turns on the bright filament in the amber lights (the bright one is actually the turn signal/hazard filament, the marker lights use the dim filament) and when it's dark out, it turns that off, and turns on the headlight and parking light circuits just like the headlight switch would. When you have the e-brake set before you start the car, the DRL module will leave all of those circuits off. It has no ability to prevent the headlight switch from running the circuits the old fashioned way though...this applies to the Camaro, I don't think the Firebirds do auto headlights.

I'm not sure if clicking the e-brake up one notch after starting the car will shut the lights back off...I can't remember...mine actually worked perfectly fine when I disabled it, I just didn't like it...mostly because in EVERY GM I've seen that does the bright amber filament/DRL deal...the marker light sockets look burned...like they're not intended/rated for that much constant heat, but GM just did it anyways...so I disabled mine by opening up the DRL module and jumping the correct pin to ground with a little solder...if you make it see ground on the proper pin, it's the same effect as having the e-brake up 1 click when you start the car, except it doesn't affect the behavior of the red brake light on the dash, so that isn't on unless you actually meant to set the e-brake.

There's a reason you can't just unplug the DRL module...turn signals don't work anymore if you do or something like that.

Quick Reply: Headlights are always on