General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can Wiper Arm Be Moved Upward Any

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can Wiper Arm Be Moved Upward Any

I installed a ram air hood on my car when I had it painted and when you open the hood, the back edge of the hood touches the cover of the wiper arm, the part where the arm pushes down on the wiper motor gear. It barely hits it but it is just enough that it is rubbing a spot in my clear coat. I want to stop that before it gets out of hand. I found a couple of how-to's on removing the wiper motor, but I can't tell if it can be adjusted upward toward the top of the windshield about a quarter-inch.

Anyone know the answer before I go to all the trouble to trying to remove or loosen the wiper motor?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What a pain to remove that motor. I don't think there's any way to move that post in any direction. You'd have to fab that entire area so all the bolts that mount that motor line up in new places.

How about grinding away enough of that wiper arm area so the hood will clear it. Then just repaint it with flat black. If its thick enough......

Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there enough room to adjust the hood and slide it a little forward so it will clear?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No room to slide the hood forward, at least not on the drivers side. Not much gap between the hood and the headlight cover, and the gap between the headlight cover and front bumper is pretty tight as well. The stock hood was the same way.

I was thinking of grinding out some clearance on the edge of the hood. The back edge of this hood comes downward, unlike the stock hood, so I could grind a little off that lip. I was hoping to avoid that since it is so close to being completely cleared. I may just have to make a mental note to always lay a hand towel or something like that over the wiper arm whenever I raise the hood. But I'm getting kinda old, so I am likely to forget to do that. Sometimes I ...lose......my.........train of........................I like cheese!!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah, now I remember what I was talking about.

Thanks for the feedback. Saved me the agony of pulling all those little connectors off the plastic cowl, massaging the wiper arm off the gear, only to find out I couldn't do what I wanted.