General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low Oil? Leaked about a quart in a month

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil? Leaked about a quart in a month

So I bought my 99 Z28 at the beginning of Oct and I have had a couple small issues but still love it. This morning on my way to work, the Low Oil light came on. Now, I had the car for about two weeks before I changed the oil in it and I drove it about 800 miles with no problems. I got the oil changed about a month ago and I have lost about a quart. The oil pressure seems to fluctuate really rapidly at idle but I didnt lose any oil at first so I figured no big deal. Well now it seems to be losing it fast and I'm wondering if the oil pressure gauge is any indication of a leak at the sensor or something. I haven't noticed any oil leaks in the driveway but i'll look when I get off work. any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some brake clean or degreaser and clean the engine off, then just run it and check for leaks/dampness every once in a while. They also make UV dye to make pin pointing a leak easier.... But since you said you didn't see any oil spots maybe your burning it. Usually rather piston rings or valve seals. Intake manifold gaskets are a possibility as well.