General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS6 PCV mod / valve cover questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS6 PCV mod / valve cover questions

I did the LS6 PCV mod and have a few questions...

1. I bought GMPN 12568010 for the connection between the valley port and intake but it rests directly against the EGR valve bracket...Im worried because its a hard plastic tube that it will eventually rub through...any suggestions?

2. Speaking of EGR....whats the approximate MPG loss removing it?

3. If I put breathers on both valve covers, (with the LS6 PCV mod) do I still need the fresh air hose between the passenger valve cover and the throttle body? (Thinking about getting a set of valve covers without the port...to clean it up)

4. anyone have even a clue as to the maximum height the valve covers can be before there is interference with cowl area??

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BOA279

1. I bought GMPN 12568010 for the connection between the valley port and intake but it rests directly against the EGR valve bracket...Im worried because its a hard plastic tube that it will eventually rub through...any suggestions?

2. Speaking of EGR....whats the approximate MPG loss removing it?

3. If I put breathers on both valve covers, (with the LS6 PCV mod) do I still need the fresh air hose between the passenger valve cover and the throttle body? (Thinking about getting a set of valve covers without the port...to clean it up)

4. anyone have even a clue as to the maximum height the valve covers can be before there is interference with cowl area??

Thanks in advance!!
Mine is so simple and has been working awesome for years.

Little breather on the drivers side valve cover....(its a small fuel filter I fitted on there with the grommet)....it draws in fresh air...and that air crosses the crankcase and over to the other valve cover, where it gets pulled out by a single vacuum line on the passengers valve cover. That vacuum line has a variable "T" valve on it right before the PCV valve. I set it to about 1/4 the strength of the factory suction strength. It works great and zero oil in my intake....zero. Perfectly clean oil for years, not a drop of moisture in the crankcase either.

I capped off the valley cover port and the port on the TB.

Attached Thumbnails LS6 PCV mod / valve cover questions-dsc01992.jpg   LS6 PCV mod / valve cover questions-valvecover.filter.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 236 Likes on 193 Posts

i suggest you switch over to the NEW style LS6 valley cover
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

@LS6427:

Why even do the LS6 mod and then cap it? Where did you get the variable "t" fitting?

@sjsingle1:

Whats different about the NEW style??
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

the holes act as a catch can ...IMO
Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

no PVC valve like the old style
Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@LS6427:

Why even do the LS6 mod and then cap it?
It was just included when my engine got built. I didn't even know what that mod was when it went together. It was just installed by the builder.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can anyone confirm that this hose can be deleted with dual breathers and LS6 PSC mod?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My catch can routing ok? Search Is your friend. The subject has been beaten to death over and over. You can find this stuff out without the long wait. Not fussing, just trying to help you out.

Although not in total agreement, most of the community agrees that running the ls6 valley with fresh air from the throttle body to the valve cover is the best. I forget why breathers are bad. A catch can is nice to have also but not necesary.. You can cap the drivers side though, that helps clean up the engine bay..

If all your worried about is looks, well I think 2 feet of black hose looks much better than a bunch of mismatched filters under the hood
Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you will lose mpg either, egr is purely for emissions standards...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely get the 04+ LS6 Valley Cover, I have what sjsingle1 has. I used to have to throw in a quart of oil between changes, now I have not a single drop loss. It's also an engine bay appearance mod, you get to remove the hoses running around the motor. Looks much much cleaner
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 AM

much cleaner? Might be cool.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Mine is so simple and has been working awesome for years.

Little breather on the drivers side valve cover....(its a small fuel filter I fitted on there with the grommet)....it draws in fresh air...and that air crosses the crankcase and over to the other valve cover, where it gets pulled out by a single vacuum line on the passengers valve cover. That vacuum line has a variable "T" valve on it right before the PCV valve. I set it to about 1/4 the strength of the factory suction strength. It works great and zero oil in my intake....zero. Perfectly clean oil for years, not a drop of moisture in the crankcase either.

I capped off the valley cover port and the port on the TB.

perfect, exactly what i needed to know

Quick Reply: LS6 PCV mod / valve cover questions